Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 06:27 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times

Advertisements

The law does require signals only for changing lanes, not for actual turning or for exiting a freeway (although if you are changing into an exit-only lake to get off the freeway you are supposed to use them).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 08:42 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
It's better than doing it without signaling.
It's better not to do it (cutting people off) at all. You missed the point. I never said signals were not legally required. I never even said people should not signal. I said they were of little value. Some of you people kept going off about people speeding and cutting in front of you without signaling, and acting as if the lack of signal was the primary problem. Geez, I suppose if a crook stormed a bank and shouted racial slurs before roughing up the tellers and fleeing with bags of money, you people would be enraged over the inappropriate language.

I am not a maniacal driver and I detest them as much as any of you. I am simply more concerned about your excessive speed and aggressive lane changing than your turn signals. If you and I are both driving under control, checking our mirrors and leaving adequate margins, then your use of signals does not help me nor does your lack of signals threaten me. It's almost comical to see someone weaving in and out of traffic, dutifully flipping their signal on every few seconds, as if they actually believe they are being a safe and competent driver. Or someone driving along lost in their own little world, flipping on their signals out of habit, and moving over without even bothering to actually check their mirrors.

I wonder how many of you preaching the law on turn signals routinely exceed the speed limit?

Old 10-28-2008, 12:49 AM

912 posts, read 2,556,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
I'm sorry, I can't make any sense of that.
Desert sun is the name of the poster you were 'dissing' and making assumptions about.

Apology accepted for your lack of comprehension.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:13 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
If you live, eat, and work in Houston, you're a Houstonian whether you originally came from timbukto or the moon!!
I didn't say they weren't Houstonians--I said they weren't from Houston. Big difference.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:38 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,444,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
The law does require signals only for changing lanes, not for actual turning or for exiting a freeway (although if you are changing into an exit-only lake to get off the freeway you are supposed to use them).
Do you have a link to this? Everything I've seen says if you exit a freeway, you're changing lanes and required by Texas law to use a turn signal... an if you are making a turn, you are required by Texas law to use a turn signal.

Texas Transportation Code, Section 545.104:

§ 545.104. SIGNALING TURNS; USE OF TURN SIGNALS. (a) An
operator shall use the signal authorized by Section 545.106 to
indicate an intention to turn, change lanes, or start from a parked
position.
(b) An operator intending to turn a vehicle right or left
shall signal continuously for not less than the last 100 feet of
movement of the vehicle before the turn.
(c) An operator may not light the signals on only one side of
the vehicle on a parked or disabled vehicle or use the signals as a
courtesy or "do pass" signal to the operator of another vehicle
approaching from the rear.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:18 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
Default Maybe I'm old fashioned or maybe I'm just polite

If someone signals that they want to get in front of me, I will slow a little to make room for them to get in. Its better than slamming on my brakes and risk getting rear ended by the guy behind me thats riding 1 inch off my bumber. Using a signal lets those around you know what your intentions are so they can react if needed.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:11 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
If someone signals that they want to get in front of me, I will slow a little to make room for them to get in. Its better than slamming on my brakes and risk getting rear ended by the guy behind me thats riding 1 inch off my bumber. Using a signal lets those around you know what your intentions are so they can react if needed.
So if there is no need for those around you to react, would you agree the turn signal is useless?

Old 10-28-2008, 01:51 PM

912 posts, read 2,556,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
So if there is no need for those around you to react, would you agree the turn signal is useless?
Advanced driving tuition teaches that if nobody will benefit from a signal ie there is nobody around to see it then there is no need to make it.

Other than that a signal is always useful.

There's no argument to be had, no debate, that's just best practice as used and taught to professional drivers worldwide. Or are you better than them?

Old 10-28-2008, 01:54 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Do you have a link to this?
Well, you posted it.

What I was going on was from a story a few years ago when a bunch of UT football players got pulled over for not signaling before exiting a freeway, and they had some pot in the car and got busted. Turns out, because they did not do anything illegal, it was found that the cop pulled them over for no reason and the possession charges etc. got thrown out along with the ticket.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:29 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times
Default Notice how this conversation turned into people not using their signal lights? :)

My sister doesn't like it when people want to cut in front of her whether they use the signal or not (when there's traffic and their lane is ending). She inches very close to the vehicle in front. I tell her everytime when I'm with her she should at least let one idiot in. She says hell no! I just laugh at her and tell her to try and drive friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston