Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 12:02 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times

Advertisements

I think this just goes with the territory of living near the tracks, rupa.

Never seen a train on the single track just west of Stella Link on Willowbend, but I can't say it never happens.

When I hear the whistle it sounds like it's coming pretty far away to the south. 90@Post Oak sounds about right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 08:56 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupa124 View Post
what kind of fan shud i buy and from where
One of those little oscillating fans from Walmart or Targer or something. Just something to create a little white noise in your bedroom.

Something like this: Walmart.com: Lasko 18" Adjustable Cyclone Pedestal Fan: Appliances

Or even a smaller one.

You don't even have to set it up so that it blows on you, just so you get a little bit of the noise in the room.

WARNING: You CAN become addicted to sleeping with a fan on in the room. Seriously. You will get used to having white noise when you sleep. Its not a bad thing, you will just notice when its TOO quiet after a while.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:51 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,752 times
I have been sleeping with a "white noise" fan for the last 15 years. My house backs up to Westheimer and on the weekends it sounds like a drag strip so without a noise blocker I would never be able to sleep. Here is one I really like Amazon.com: Honeywell HT800 Super Turbo High Performance Fan, Black: Kitchen & Dining because it makes a nice steady loud hum that effectively blocks out everything.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:10 AM

530 posts, read 2,036,976 times
Good suggestion on the white noise machine... but... if you've ever been to a drag strip, then you'd know Westheimer is nothing like an uncorked top fuel dragster You could literally blow out your eardrums if you don't plug your ears.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:25 AM

49 posts, read 167,542 times
Question Its the noise from the horn blowing, not the train house

Thank you for all your inputs, but I get disturbed in the night by the horn noise, NOT the train noise and when I bought the house, I was told that the closest crossing is 2 miles away and it is also quiet zone so now I am confused why I hear horns at night. I got Officer Jack Hanagriff and City of Houston to investigate since they deal with noise in the city and Officer said he will make sure the horn blowing stops. I dont understand itf I am at Stella Link and Woodhaven why would I hear the horns from 90 and Main St.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:32 AM

530 posts, read 2,036,976 times
How long have you lived there? As a kid, we moved to a trailer house about 20 yards from a train track, no fence or trees or anything in between and my bedroom was on the end closest to the tracks, with a picture window. There was also a major road crossing about 25 yards from the house, so that meant horns + trains every night. After a few months I couldn't tell you when a train came, because it never woke me up... at all.... you get used to it and your mind tunes it out when it is a normal sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston