Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,186 times

Advertisements

Well, the promotion came and the decision was tough (to leave). Only being back in BR for not quite 2 years from 3 years in Atlanta, we are not looking forward to it. The plan is to lease a house in the Woodlands prior to purchasing in order to make sure we want to stay. When we visited, we fell in love with the place (felt like nicer burb areas of north Atlanta).

We investigated Sugarland, but the place in a flowerbed in the middle of refineries........a web of transmission lines. Anybody down there ever heard of a viewshed?

It leads me to this, are there any snakes in the weeds that we didn't see in the Woodlands? (btw, the Jones don't scare me.......I just ignore them)

Thanks!

oh, and I am an LSU Tiger fan/former player, so please keep that in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 01:44 PM

530 posts, read 2,036,244 times
I've been to the northern 'burbs of Atlanta. The Woodlands is nicer. I don't know of any down side to The Woodlands other than long commute times. That's the beauty of Sugar Land. Many parts (e.g. where I live) are single-digit mileage from main areas of Houston proper.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:06 PM

410 posts, read 1,681,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan#1 View Post
It leads me to this, are there any snakes in the weeds that we didn't see in the Woodlands? (btw, the Jones don't scare me.......I just ignore them)

Thanks!

oh, and I am an LSU Tiger fan/former player, so please keep that in mind.
Other than "sheer bliss"... lol...

No, really...as prior posted mentioned... the commute will be rough.
Sunny

Old 10-30-2008, 02:17 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Bad commute. Lots of snakes. Ick. Hated them.

Nothing like North Atlanta, where you can hit the mountains in 70 minutes or Downtown in 30 minutes.

Personally, Sugarland has the most to offer out of all the burbs.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Bad commute. Lots of snakes. Ick. Hated them.

Nothing like North Atlanta, where you can hit the mountains in 70 minutes or Downtown in 30 minutes.

Personally, Sugarland has the most to offer out of all the burbs.
ahhh yes, the mountains were nice (we lived in Canton), but it was FAR from 30 min to the perimeter in the AM peak......more like an hour and a half. I do know the commute is a bear, but I won't be quite downtown (North Loop). And, I am an very early commuter (545-330).....will still be a bear.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:16 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
I think you'll LOVE The Woodlands, coming from BR. I worked off Seagler for a long time so I know BR fairly well. You'll have the trees, and topography will be the same. You'll be able to find good Cajun/Creole/Tex Mex anywhere up in TW area. I liked BR a lot in that it was similar to Houston in so many ways. The people are similar too, very friendly and down-to-earth.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:57 PM

14 posts, read 65,886 times
I currently live in The Woodlands with a grandmother who lives in Sugarland. They are quite similar. It all depends on where you would like to live and how close it is to your job. If you have specific questions id love to help. Ive lived here my whole life so I know my way around quite well.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:14 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
Have you considered Kingwood? The traffic is much better on 59 compared to 45. Although to be honest if I were you I would probably live in the Heights because it would probably be very close to your job.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:22 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
If you really want to live there, don't live west of Gosling. It will add serious time to your commute.

I'm glad you are going to rent there first. I think that's smart from my time spent up there. There're people who love the place, don't mind the time driving everywhere to get anything done, and the seclusion from the city. Other's can't stand the place and pine for home, be it California, NY,Atlanta, Chicago etc. . It's definately not a "southern" area.Turn over of your neighbors is about every three years.

Ps- You never did say your budget. There're some great neighborhoods, with big old trees,miles of parks and bigger lots, with schools as good if not better than the burbs tucked in all around the city.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:54 AM

530 posts, read 2,036,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Ps- You never did say your budget. There're some great neighborhoods, with big old trees,miles of parks and bigger lots, with schools as good if not better than the burbs tucked in all around the city.
Budget being a key word, man. Despite a suburban image, you can really find plenty of affordable (sub-200k) houses in The Woodlands with big tree-covered lots. The same 200k home would be like 750k in Memorial, minimally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston