Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 01:25 PM

7 posts, read 12,719 times

Advertisements

Hello, I just came across this thread and thought it would be a good place to start. I will be relocating to NW Houston from across the country and I have never gone through such a big move on my own before, especially to a city I am not familiar with. My job, I believe, will be in the Aldine area on Sam Houston Pkwy E.? I am having a lot of trouble looking for a safe and clean apartment that is within a 20 minute commute to work. I would like to be just as close to the airport (IAH) since I will be traveling a lot. It seems that all of the apartments in Aldine and Humble have bad reviews for gang activity, cars that were broken into even though the complex was gated/secure, and/or issues with roaches, gnats, and other insects in the apartments. Air and traffic noise are not an issue for me, and I do not need to worry about school districts because I do not have any children. Are there any safe and clean apartments in these areas? Any information would be helpful! Thanks.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-30-2008 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: new topic = new thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 04:54 PM

469 posts, read 1,484,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckydalin View Post
Hello, I just came across this thread and thought it would be a good place to start. I will be relocating to NW Houston from across the country and I have never gone through such a big move on my own before, especially to a city I am not familiar with. My job, I believe, will be in the Aldine area on Sam Houston Pkwy E.? I am having a lot of trouble looking for a safe and clean apartment that is within a 20 minute commute to work. I would like to be just as close to the airport (IAH) since I will be traveling a lot. It seems that all of the apartments in Aldine and Humble have bad reviews for gang activity, cars that were broken into even though the complex was gated/secure, and/or issues with roaches, gnats, and other insects in the apartments. Air and traffic noise are not an issue for me, and I do not need to worry about school districts because I do not have any children. Are there any safe and clean apartments in these areas? Any information would be helpful! Thanks.
You are going to be hard pressed to find a good apartment in the Humble area unless you make below a certain income. Most of the good apartments in that area are tax ebatement and have maximium income limits. My wife and I had a similar problem when we first moved into the area as she works off of the beltway between 59 and the Hardy Toll Road. You will need to look out in Atascocita off of the 1960 to find a decent place. There are a couple of apartments that are decent there just before you head over the bridge to Huffman.

Other than that I would not suggest you rent an apartment in the Humble area. I suggest you rent a house.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:24 PM

Great! Thanks for the information If I stay in the area, it is likely that I will end up buying a house or condo, but this is a quick move and I have only been to Houston once for a NASA conference, so I'll have to rent when I first get there. Again, thank you.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:27 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,134 times
Try looking in the Cypresswood, Louetta, Spring Cypress, or 2920 areas near where they come close to I-45. You get into better parts of town, especially on the West side of I-45. There are many apartments in the area, it gets you out of the Aldine or Greenspoint area, and its easily within a 20 minute commute.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:02 AM

530 posts, read 2,036,648 times
Agreed w/ Supermac34, I'd check out some apts up near Louetta/Cypresswood, just West of I-45. Or you can rent homes in a decent area over there for under $1,000/month for a 3/2/2. I lived in the 77373 area code and you can find many affordable rental houses there for just as cheap as a 2bedroom apartment.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:48 PM

Well, great! Thanks for the additional information. West of Aldine would be fine. I'm moving by myself, so I wouldn't need anything larger than a 1 bedroom but price isn't necessarily an issue, but I would like to keep it under $1000/mo. to start if possible. I will start looking in those new areas ASAP.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:45 PM

5 posts, read 14,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermac34 View Post
Try looking in the Cypresswood, Louetta, Spring Cypress, or 2920 areas near where they come close to I-45. You get into better parts of town, especially on the West side of I-45. There are many apartments in the area, it gets you out of the Aldine or Greenspoint area, and its easily within a 20 minute commute.
+1. You will find more apartments in these areas that are nice.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:18 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckydalin View Post
Well, great! Thanks for the additional information. West of Aldine would be fine. I'm moving by myself, so I wouldn't need anything larger than a 1 bedroom but price isn't necessarily an issue, but I would like to keep it under $1000/mo. to start if possible. I will start looking in those new areas ASAP.
it's true you can find some decent apartments on 1960 west of 45 but the traffic is really bad on 1960 during the late afternoon, early evening. also it can be a bit dangerous at night on the weekends because of all the drunk drivers. there seems to be a high concentration of drunk driving accidents in that area because of the bars and clubs. just something to consider. you might want to look at some of the apartments in Spring. its a little further north but it may be worth it.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:37 PM

18 posts, read 41,363 times
There are some real nice new apts at clay rd and beltway 8

Old 11-10-2008, 03:51 PM

17 posts, read 61,657 times
whats the average 2-3 bed apartment go for? any ideas? i saw Realtor.com , they were showing $650.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston