Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 08:52 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,597,669 times

Advertisements

You'll fit right in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 11:30 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Normally I praise Houston over Austin because the first is so underrated and the latter so overrated by most people.

But in your case I would also suggest at least considering Austin, based primarily on your age and occupation. Austin is very much a college town, the 18-22 age group is big there and so is the related bar/club scene. It's a fun place to be at that age.

Down the road, once you're over that scene and ready for the "big city" and a more sophisticated crowd, more diversity, and world-class arts/culture and food... it would be easy to move to Houston.
I'll take that into consideration. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz
I would think a bartender would earn more in the Inner Loop in Houston than in Austin. I like big cities, too, and I'm happy in Houston (I live in the suburbs but I go into the city at least weekly). Houston feels like a city...Austin feels like a college town that grew a bit. Houston's museum district is second only to NYC - you can't get that in Austin.

I went to grad school in Austin and I do like Austin. But I think Houston has a lot going for it and you might want to explore it before automatically choosing Austin. Come tour the Rice University/Museum District/Montrose/Galleria/Uptown/Memorial areas and see what you think.
Thanks for the info. Good bartenders usually make a lot regardless of where they are.

I am young, however, I don't need a city to feel like a college town to be comfortable. I just would like to find at least a handful of people who share the same interests as me. The chances of that happening go up when you go to large cities.

I strongly believe that knowledge is power, however, I'm not into the whole college thing. If you're not lazy, you can learn a lot on your own. Unless you're studying the hard sciences (I consider engineering to be in this category), mathematics, or something business/marketing related, college is more about the social life than anything. IMO, of course. I wouldn't mind a city with a lot of people in my age group, but it doesn't have to be a college town. I can see why most would suggest one though. Outside of class, drinking and getting high are on a lot of student's minds.

In the end, I'll probably just get tours of all the cities I have in mind before making my decision.

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:00 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I am young, however, I don't need a city to feel like a college town to be comfortable. I just would like to find at least a handful of people who share the same interests as me. The chances of that happening go up when you go to large cities.

I strongly believe that knowledge is power, however, I'm not into the whole college thing. If you're not lazy, you can learn a lot on your own. Unless you're studying the hard sciences (I consider engineering to be in this category), mathematics, or something business/marketing related, college is more about the social life than anything. IMO, of course. I wouldn't mind a city with a lot of people in my age group, but it doesn't have to be a college town. I can see why most would suggest one though. Outside of class, drinking and getting high are on a lot of student's minds.

In the end, I'll probably just get tours of all the cities I have in mind before making my decision.

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply.
You sound on track.

Austin gets a lot of hype (especially from its own residents who have never lived anywhere else, or moved from somewhere they hated and so of course they like Austin) and it starts to get really old. Don't buy into all of it.

You would probably like Montrose, West U/Rice U areas, maybe Midtown, the Heights, Washington Ave areas of Houston. Good luck!

Old 11-03-2008, 07:07 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,829 times
You should be able to find your niche in the fourth largest city in the nation. Of course, if I were a young bartender that is 18, I'd probably have a lot more fun in Austin.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:10 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
The problem with Austin is they've overhyped and commercialized their image to draw in people who don't fit into it. Not only that, the bigger Austin gets, the more like any other large city in Texas it becomes.

But be free to check both out.

I like Austin more on a visit-only basis.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:48 AM

If I were single, 18, and a bartender, I'd go to Austin almost strictly for the college girls.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:45 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermac34 View Post
If I were single, 18, and a bartender, I'd go to Austin almost strictly for the college girls.
Valid point.

What are the students like? You know college always has its subcultures.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:40 PM

188 posts, read 520,969 times
Hmm, I don't think I've ever heard of bartenders under the age of 21... that just doesn't sound right. Anyway, If I were you, seeing how you're only 18, I would try to get into a university in Austin and do a little bartending on the side.

I would say size-wise (population and area), Austin is about as big as Indianapolis, you might feel a little more comfortable there. Houston is indeed a very large city, and could be a little much for an 18-year-old trying to make it on their own without a college education... unless you are absolutely on your A game and know what you're doing.

That's my $.02.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Valid point.

What are the students like? You know college always has its subcultures.
University of Texas is the second largest university in the United States. There is a little bit of everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: