Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 09:25 AM

381 posts, read 1,233,694 times

Advertisements

I relate to your needs and we moved to Spring- OMG - hated it!!! Moved back in town pretty quickly ( 2yrs, only because we had a child and took a whiel to sell the house).
I am sure the Katy or Sugarland areas are better. Just wanted to show you though what you could get in town.....1/2 mile from Heights.

842 W 42nd, Houston, TX 77018
842 W. 42nd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 10:48 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownybaby View Post
I relate to your needs and we moved to Spring- OMG - hated it!!! Moved back in town pretty quickly ( 2yrs, only because we had a child and took a whiel to sell the house).
I am sure the Katy or Sugarland areas are better. Just wanted to show you though what you could get in town.....1/2 mile from Heights.

842 W 42nd, Houston, TX 77018
842 W. 42nd

Great house Browny. And no joke the burbs were horrible.
The reason why people settle for a smaller house in town, other than location, is because you're never home. Who needs all that extra space when you're always out doing something. Your house isn't the entertainment in the city.

Ps- my house size is excessive for me, but I wanted the lot size and the bayou/THP location. Hard to find a 2300 sf house on Buffalo Bayou anymore.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 11-05-2008 at 11:06 AM..

Old 11-05-2008, 01:35 PM

Found another one....and I want this one!!! But no can do...

13927 Perthshire, Houston, TX 77079

Old 11-05-2008, 04:04 PM

247 posts, read 737,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
You have ONE child, so you need 2,500 sq/ft of living space? Wow have times changed. My mom, her 3 sisters and 2 parents lived in an 850 (being generous) sq/ft bungalow house for her entire childhood. Sure, they eventually added a room on the back when the girls were teenagers, and I'll grant that this was too little space, but people have some warped ideas about what kids "need" nowadays.
What I find warped, is how presumptous some people feel comfortable being given the anonymity internet screen name. So Zero, how about you decide how much space is good for your family and I'll make the choice for mine. Save the lecture for someone you actually know.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:25 PM

247 posts, read 737,323 times
Browny, I agree with Easily Amused, great houses!

Easily Amused, I went from 1500 sq feet to 3600 sq feet before moving to Houston and realized something somewhere in between would be ideal. When you have a toddler you can't spend all of your time out of the house even if you wanted to so your home has to be a destination. Toddlers love to spread their toys all over and teen boys need reasonable privacy so a little extra square footage for the future is a good thing in my mind.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:08 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Yea, that second one Browny posted is in Nottingham,the little neighborhood on the other side of Memorial from me. Great school, Great neighborhood. Don't know if I would want to live right on the corner of Kirkwood. Very busy street. But really, 400 is entry level for the area.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:49 AM

You should probably talk to "Topaz" from the board - I think she moved from th Heights to Sugar Land. She can probably give you more insight, if that is what you want to do!

Old 11-06-2008, 08:57 AM

759 posts, read 3,183,541 times
Good point, Mommy/Artist/Lawyer.
I went from about 3xxx to 5xxx SF. I need a lot of space. I have a media room, game room, 2 home offices, 2 large walk in closets, (wife and i can't share). It adds up. Plus I wanted to have a home where I did not have to move for the next 15 years when our family expands from 2 to whatever (3 kids is my limit. I think 4 would be a bit too many, whatever God gives us I am happy with.).

only reason i would unless the areas go to crap (unlikely) or my wife becomes a world famous doctor or I become the CEO (less likely). My utility bills are less than most homes that are 2100 SF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy/Artist/Lawyer View Post
What I find warped, is how presumptous some people feel comfortable being given the anonymity internet screen name. So Zero, how about you decide how much space is good for your family and I'll make the choice for mine. Save the lecture for someone you actually know.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:22 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownybaby View Post
You should probably talk to "Topaz" from the board - I think she moved from the Heights to Sugar Land. She can probably give you more insight, if that is what you want to do!
I moved from the Pacific Northwest. Because of relocation logistics, we had to pick a place to live just by doing online research, which was tough. We ended up in Sugar Land and we are happy with our choice. If you could get the same amount of space as here, for the same price, with good public schools, and closer in to Houston, we would have loved that. But I'd love being taller, too...isn't going to happen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by icon7 View Post
Good point, Mommy/Artist/Lawyer.
I went from about 3xxx to 5xxx SF. I need a lot of space. I have a media room, game room, 2 home offices, 2 large walk in closets, (wife and i can't share). It adds up. Plus I wanted to have a home where I did not have to move for the next 15 years when our family expands from 2 to whatever (3 kids is my limit. I think 4 would be a bit too many, whatever God gives us I am happy with.).
Makes sense to me. I work from home, so that increases our need for space. I already did the claustrophobic "too small" house thing in the Pacific Northwest...I wouldn't want to re-live that in Texas.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I moved from the Pacific Northwest. Because of relocation logistics, we had to pick a place to live just by doing online research, which was tough. We ended up in Sugar Land and we are happy with our choice. If you could get the same amount of space as here, for the same price, with good public schools, and closer in to Houston, we would have loved that. But I'd love being taller, too...isn't going to happen...

Oops - sorry - I remembered you had a lot of knowledge about Love Elementary, and assumed you lived there....my bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston