Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 02:42 PM

28 posts, read 122,323 times

Advertisements

Folks - We are planning to build or buy a home in next few months and we have narrowed down to 2 communities - telfair, cinco ranch. We would like to take advice here on which one to narrow down to.

We have a 4 yr old kid and good schools are important in our decision.

We work in downtown but I am not sure if there is a big difference in commute wise from both the communities.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 03:27 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,937,568 times
I looked into Telfair briefly before deciding to buy in Cinco Ranch. We really didn't want to build a new house though, we bought a two year old house. I prefered to be in a built-out community, where the schools were established and already rated. Cinco offers extremely highly rated schools, more established retail and more existing amenities. I'm sure Telfair will be great in a few years.

I will say that my husband is thrilled to have two options for commuting downtown, the Katy Freeway and the Westpark Tollway. With the improvements to I-10, the commute either way is similar and he tends to check Transstar before he leaves the office to see if there is an unusual backup on one or the other. You wouldn't have that option in Telfair really.

Finally I will say, we LOVE our neighborhood (Sterling Ridge) in Cinco. We have LOADS of families with young kids like ours and we gather to play in the street every evening. We plan block parties around holidays and other times with huge neighborhood turnout. And our block is extremely diverse, which we love.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:45 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,588 times
I will give you the Telfair argument. It is in the heart of Sugar Land. You do not have such a wide range of home prices like Cinco Ranch (115K to 1M plus). In Telfair the range is pretty much 300K-1.4M+ median sale price was almost $500K. No starter homes.

You are 1 miles or less from 59, HWY 6, 90, and 99. You have 3 major hospitals nearby. Lots of the families that are moving in are people with young kids or no kids yet, but are looking at starting a family. It will cost you more than in Cinco Ranch, but you do get a good selection of lots still. but If you wait a few months the next section will be open.....not sure what size lots are there.

Both Areas are developed by the same company Newland development.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:54 PM
cla

898 posts, read 3,308,241 times
You can't lose in either Telfair or Cinco, or Sugar Land and Katy in general. The great thing about Houston is that there is a wide variety of great areas to choose from, and they each have their own personality - you really need to visit each to find the area that is right for you and your situation.

You will find people who love/hate every neighborhood you can mention. I'd only be concerned when darn near everyone says "no" for a particular area.

And with a 4 year old child, you have plenty of time. Most elementary schools are great. And that is all I would be concerned with at this point (you probably won't be in your current home forever). Once you settle in and live here for a while, you can make a better decision. I say, find the floor plan you like at a price you like in either area and enjoy your new home.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:59 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Sugar Land has a Whole Foods Market with a children's club house. Their staff supervises your children while you shop. My children love using the Mac computers and doing art projects. They love going there so much, they insist we need groceries every 3 days.

Sugar Land also has a shopping mall for those days when you don't want to go all the way to the Galleria and you don't want an outlet mall.

That being said, I'm sure you would enjoy either Cinco Ranch or Telfair if you like master planned communities. They are both very nice and family-oriented.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:47 PM

28 posts, read 122,323 times
Thank you all for the feedback.

Can people share views on commute. I see v. good reviews on commute from Katy area after I-10 expansion. Could this mean commute times from Cinco and Telfair are the same now?

Old 11-06-2008, 07:57 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,937,568 times
Cinco to the Galleria is about 35 minutes now. Not sure about downtown.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:18 AM

530 posts, read 2,036,976 times
Telfair is a lot CLOSER to downtown. As for commute times, I don't know, since I haven't been on I-10 since it re-opened. Telfair (as mentioned), is also 1 mile or less from 59, so don't underestimate the time you might waste getting TO the freeway. When I lived in Spring, the first 15 minutes of my commute was just to get to I-45. I'm down to 10 minutes from my current location, but if I could afford Telfair, then I could benefit from that super short ride to the freeway. Also, as a general statement, I like Sugar Land better than Katy. To me it feels more established and family oriented. The community itself wasn't built as a suburb, but it was built around the sugar factory and Houston just spread out there. It's a place that I imagine I would have loved to live 50 years ago, too.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:22 AM

This is one of those it depends questions...
From Telfair
I carpool via the HOV to downtown CBD at 6:50am-7:10am, and it takes about 26-33 minutes most days to get to my office in the back of the CBD. If driving in the main lanes at the same time it takes about 35-40 minutes...unless there is an accident. As traffic builds, it is slower from 7:30am-8:30am. HOV or Park and Ride at West Belfort is the way to go!

I know West park was a dog in the morning after it expanded past hwy 6 a few years back...but since I-10 opened up, has it become faster? it was a poor design to began with it should have been 6 lanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by househunter2008 View Post
Thank you all for the feedback.

Can people share views on commute. I see v. good reviews on commute from Katy area after I-10 expansion. Could this mean commute times from Cinco and Telfair are the same now?

Old 11-07-2008, 08:26 AM

Also note that Telfair for many of the builders is considered a premium neighborhood. If you are building Custom, this does not apply. however, most builders have several levels of homes of the same model in different areas. For example in Telfair it does cost more but there are more standard options than in other areas. I noticed this while walking through the models in Riverstone and Telfair. So the price difference should be similar if the options were the same, sure Telfair will still be a bit more than Cinco Ranch, but not on as much if you compare apples to apples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston