Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 03:25 PM

530 posts, read 2,027,944 times

Advertisements

Admittedly, it was worse than ever this year and I know for many people it will be the deciding factor on whether they ever go back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 09:25 PM

764 posts, read 1,415,121 times
My experience has been that if you stay to see the fireworks show, you hit that terrible traffic. You HAVE to leave well before dusk in order to avoid it. I used to live about 2 miles from the festival grounds and had to time our errands and such on the weekends or we couldn't go anywhere without being caught up in that traffic - coming or going. At night you not only have the patrons leaving, but the employees who are not camping or those who are camping and are running into Magnolia for some supplies/food/etc.

My son, who works in one of the shops, tells me that this year has been busier than the last couple or three years. We went the weekend before Halloween and it was incredibly crowded, more so than I had seen in several years. We left about 6pm and came home through the back roads past our property and came home via Hwy 290 (we currently live right off 290 in the Cy-Fair area). There was no traffic, but then hardly anyone ever goes that way. I've learned to avoid going through Magnolia and Tomball if at all possible.

There used to be a restaurant or something on FM 1774 near CR 302(?) that was open during the festival times and served the patrons. I wish it was still there since there really isn't much else around that is close by unless you go into Magnolia. There is a restaurant in Plantersville (or there was when we lived out that way) that is on Hwy 105 about a 1/2 mile from FM 1774 on the right hand side if you are heading towards Conroe - I don't remember the name of it, but it had pretty decent food. Of course, it would be out of the way if you are heading back to Houston.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,465 times
Default Here's the story about traffic:

The Texas Ren Fest is the largest of its kind in the US. That tells you something in and of itself. Because it is located out in the countryside, the road leading in and out is only two lanes. If you want to exit the faire without a great deal of delay, plan to leave no later than 4 PM. You may still have to wait in line even then but it won't be bad at all After that, the later you wait to leave, the longer you'll wait in the parking lot. The stories about two and three hour waits are true if you stay for the fireworks. Be sure to use the restroom before you exit the fairgrounds!!! Also, know that traffic heading toward Magnolia and over toward I-45 is heaviest. Traffic headed north is lightest. Unfortunately, there aren't many hotels to the north unless you want to travel the back roads via Lake Conroe all the way to Conroe, TX which is rather a long way out of the way. All in all, the best bet is get to the faire early and leave early. That's just the reality of it.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:24 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,888,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melbacc View Post
Waited 3.5 hours in the same parking spot! We will never go back!
I went about 6 years ago and it was the exact same situation. Haven't been back since. If I recall correctly, there was an additional gated exit that was not open too.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:58 AM

872 posts, read 822,540 times
We went last year. We left shortly before 5, we only had about 20 minutes to get out to the road. It is what time you leave.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:30 PM

23 posts, read 35,153 times
I have lived here in Houston since 2005, and have gone to the renfest since I moved here. The traffic after the firework show has always been slow. I have started doing like some of the other posters suggested. Tailgate for a while afterwards, then leave. It is much easier to do that. The traffic will move faster when you do that. I bought a rv a few years ago, and now we just hang out there, Wander the campgrounds a little, (the drum circles are a lot of fun), and leave about 11.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:41 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,110,096 times
I have gone since it's beginning (except for a couple of years in all that time). We have never stayed for the fireworks - 2 lane roads out, in a country setting, told us better.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:10 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,786,318 times
I've gone twice and the traffic was awful but it was worth all the fun while I was there. I'll probably go again this year. Will probably try to leave earlier.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:43 AM

847 posts, read 1,742,151 times
i went about 3 years ago and we left before fireworks (didn't even know there was a firework show)...and traffic was still bad....took 2-3 hours to get home and we live in Spring.....

wife and i vowed to not go back again. FOR US, it just wasn't worth it.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:07 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,641,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
We went last year. We left shortly before 5, we only had about 20 minutes to get out to the road. It is what time you leave.
This is what we do. We go when they open and then leave late afternoon. We have never had a problem. With young kids, we don't want to be out late anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston