Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 13,677 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

we jsut signed the first contract with Westin for an inventory home in Shadow Creek Ranch, Houston, TX as we were told that it is a reasonable builder and we do like the design and the price. Now that I have been researching in Internet about WEstin, some horrible stories are coming out. I wonder if every builder would have some dark stories or WEstin really has been a very unwise choice. Can somebody give us mor eprecise information on Westin, especially those built recently in shadow Creek Ranch?

These are the tech data I copied from the contract:
14+ SEER Carrier air conditioner with Puron Gas
Doubled-paned, low E insulated glass
Calibri]Zoned air conditioning and heating
R-6 flexible duct work, fully sealed and strapped at all ocnnections
R-13 batt insulation behind walls
R-19 batt insulation in garage ceilings under living area
R-22 batt insulation on sloped ceilings with full baffles to soffit ventilation system
R-30 batt/blown insulation in ceiling
Polysealant around base plates, doors and windows

Does anybody know if these are sufficient and if we should, giving these conditions, add a TEchshield?

We are going to hire a home inspector, any informations on what else we cando to prevent the major quality issues reported by some other buyers?

Last and the most unpleasant question: We already paid them 2000 Dollars of "honesty Money". Does anybody if we can get this back if turns out to be true that Westin is an untrustworthy builder?

Many thanks in advance!!!!!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-18-2008 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: repaired font sizing issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 05:46 AM

480 posts, read 1,698,248 times
Pay for the tech shield upgrade. It's definitely worth it.

What subdivision inside SCR did you buy in? I know Westin is mostly on the western side of SCR, west of Kingsley drive.

You did know about the landfill that borders SCR on that side, right? Residents in that part of SCR have been complaining about its affect on their lifestyle, and there is a high probability that it will be expanded sometime in the future.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:01 AM

2 posts, read 13,677 times
Hi Timnwendy,

thanks for your notes. It's located in section 26, actually just east of the Kinsley drive. I hope the landfill will not be a problem then?
thanks

Old 11-18-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHomeBuyer08 View Post
Hi Timnwendy,

thanks for your notes. It's located in section 26, actually just east of the Kinsley drive. I hope the landfill will not be a problem then?
thanks
If you are east of Kingsley, you should be ok. No guarantee, though. If you are just east of Kingsley then you are about 1 mile from it.

Now, if the proposed expansion of the landfill goes through, all bets are off. The expansion will undoubtedly increase its range of effect. I live approx. 2 miles east of it, down in Southern Trails, and I might even be affected.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:49 AM

57 posts, read 293,507 times
landfill?
I am planning to sign the contract in SCR in 2-3 weeks.
I tried to understand about landfill, but i cant. how it affect us? is it something to do with the land consrtuction affects...

Old 11-21-2008, 11:56 AM

57 posts, read 293,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHomeBuyer08 View Post
Hi everybody,

we jsut signed the first contract with Westin for an inventory home in Shadow Creek Ranch, Houston, TX as we were told that it is a reasonable builder and we do like the design and the price. Now that I have been .................................................

Many thanks in advance!!!!!
Hey,
Whats ur budget? whats your Sqft expectation?

Are you looking at the trinity plan? which is available on febraury?

I will be signing contract in 2-3 weeks of decision making. My realtor didnt recommend me the westin homes. I dont know why. We checked the trinity plans and others
My preferences:
above 3100 sqft
4+bedroom
3.5 bath
game room
media room
2 story
2 story open ceiling in formal room

I am working with 4 taylor morrison, gehan, ryland & westin. Didnt decide anything yet..preference list ryland, taylor morrison, gehan then westin. And also looking in newmark homes.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyakamaraj View Post
landfill?
I am planning to sign the contract in SCR in 2-3 weeks.
I tried to understand about landfill, but i cant. how it affect us? is it something to do with the land consrtuction affects...
A landfill is where the trucks dump the trash and garbage. It has the following negative impacts:

1. produces bad odors that affect nearby areas.
2. draws rodents, insects, carrion birds, and other wildlife that affects nearby structures.
3. sometimes has chemical seepage into the ground which leeches into nearby infrastructure, like water supply.
4. produces unsightly "hills" of garbage that can be seen from nearby areas (side note: if/when the Blue Ridge corp. is allowed to move forward with their expansion of the landfill that borders the west side of SCR, it will be allowed to build "garbage hills" 170 feet high!

There was an article in the Pearland Journal a few months ago that told of various residents from SCR complaining to the city about all the problems the landfill was causing them. I'd take a cue from them and avoid buying on the west side of SCR.

Please be careful.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 10,488 times
ANymore comments on Westin Homes? I still haven't found much info. BBB doesn't really say much since they are not listed with them. 7 complaints total 2 unresolved. Perry and others have 25 or more complaints and are also not with the BBB. Looked on the other sites about Homeowners and builders but didn't find any information on them. I was looking into buying a home in Richmond, TX in a small community where Westin was building. Not sure of quality but the build on the Castlebrook is awesome with the staircase and all. Price per squar foot is about $65.

Anymore feedback from Westin Home Buyers??

Old 02-24-2009, 07:52 PM

30 posts, read 145,878 times
I would stay away from SCR. I used to live there and I am glad we moved. Not only is it next to a landfill that may expand to 170 feet high, there is a chemical plant not far away either. Plus with the increase in crime and traffic, I don't think SCR is a very nice place. There are some very rough neighborhoods just north on 288 and to the west off of McHard just past Almeda. This of course is my opinion and some people may love the area. Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Gators_07 View Post
I would stay away from SCR. I used to live there and I am glad we moved. Not only is it next to a landfill that may expand to 170 feet high, there is a chemical plant not far away either. Plus with the increase in crime and traffic, I don't think SCR is a very nice place. There are some very rough neighborhoods just north on 288 and to the west off of McHard just past Almeda. This of course is my opinion and some people may love the area. Just my 2 cents.
Your concern about the landfill is correct, but it only affects houses on the west side of SCR.

The Pearland Police just had a meeting for SCR residents last Monday and showed statistics that crime in SCR actually went down by 10% between 2007 and 2008. I believe their figures.

I do think SCR is a good place to live, but not just anywhere inside SCR. Remember, SCR is huge, and some places inside it are better than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston