Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 09:00 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,806,276 times

Advertisements

Fiber Optic to the Home.
We have Uverse now and love it. We were one of the first in houston to get it several years ago so we had some hiccups in the beginning but they have the absolute best customer service and always got us back up and running asap with the nicest techs. But our current home is old, with the old coax from the old cable companies.
Our new neighborhood on the other hand is "Uverse Connected" with FTTH, prewired with cat5 and all that stuff.
Just wondering if I should expect any difference in picture quality in the HD channels or anything else at the new house? Also wondering if anyone has had any service issues out on the west side or in our particular neighborhood which is Cross Creek Ranch.

Of course our other option is satellite, but I always hated how service would go out when the wind would blow wrong, or when it was raining too hard... when you are stuck inside and want to watch tv.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 09:21 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,526,291 times
I have fiber to the premises. You won't notice a difference in picture quality between FTTP and FTTN. The issue is when you have old coax in your home, or improperly terminated coax that you'll have TV problems like receiver lockups or stuttering. Cat 5 wiring from the residential gateway to the TV receivers is definitely preferred if you can do it.

Hopefully you won't get a VIP 2250 DVR. Lots of reports of lockups and spontaneous reboots with that model. I got one as a replacement less than a week ago and it already rebooted itself once while watching TV. So annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston