Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:00 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,349,560 times

Advertisements

I have never forgotten an early review of her singing -- I believe it was in Rolling Stone: "Minnie Mouse on helium." I think she has improved a bit since then but it was on-target, IMO!

I enjoyed a few of her early '80s videos on MTV (remember when MTV was MTV and actually played music videos???) because she is charismatic, but that was then and this is now. I have no interest in "seeing" her...the few early tunes that I liked, I would just play them on CD if I wanted. Which I don't....she kind of lost me in that whole dominatrix/nude photos book period she went thru. Plus I do believe old boyfriend Warren Beatty's comment in her "documentary" that "you don't want to LIVE off-camera!"
I think in the dictionary if you look up narcissist, there will be a photo of Madonna. Can't imagine how Ritchie spent 8 years married to her.....

I did like the video, I think it was Express Yourself, with the cat <g>.

Not that I have spent this much time thinking about her (or typing about her) in the past 25 years.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 12:02 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,148,494 times
Living in Montrose definitely helped my boyfriend and I out, because we didn't have to pay for parking. (We just took the rail.) We also didnt have to drive 2 hours to get back home.

My overall comment was like "DAMN! When I turn 50, I need to be able to do that"!

Old 11-18-2008, 12:47 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
If you ask me, anyone who cares that much about a celebrity's political views is out of touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Yes I was really glad she didn't make any political comments because I don't pay to hear a performer or actor's comments - I am there to see their talent, not the comments in their mind. The only thing political was one song accompanied by a lot of images flashing in the background and the final flashing image was Barack. No political talk though - only a those flashing images.
That's enough, IMHO.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:05 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
I think in the dictionary if you look up narcissist, there will be a photo of Madonna.
Ain't that the truth? That much narcissism is much more tolerable in a 20 or 30 year old because you expect there may be more growing up to do. But 50? Not attractive at all.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:32 PM

43 posts, read 227,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
Really her best album is Ray of Light - 1998. Great all the way through. She does have talent.

AGREED 100%. My favorite album of hers. Wish she would go back to her spiritual side. But I love Madonna. Her concert was great! Yes she showed up 2 hours late, but not sure how much of that is her doing or how much of that was Minute Maid officials holding her off so more beer and popcorn could be sold along with t-shirts, programs, etc.

Did anyone catch what she said during the concert, that it was her first time in Houston? WRONG. It was her second time. She opened her Blonde Ambition tour in 1990 but according to rumor received such bad press that she never came to Texas again.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:05 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,439,525 times
I hadn't been to Minute Maid for a music concert, and thought the venue was halfway decent. What did I like best? That we were out and home and in bed within 30 minutes of leaving! Seriously, I actually nodded off a couple of times during the show. I didn't mind so much that it started late because we came late (after hearing that she is typically 2 hours late).

I have always been a big Madonna fan, but this concert wasn't all that. Too much guitar (yes Madge, we get it, you can play the electric guitar), too many oddly-remixed old hits, and way too much of her new stuff. Kudos to her for reinventing herself for the younger fans, but I guess at 35, I'm no longer in that group .

Old 11-18-2008, 06:51 PM

257 posts, read 986,804 times
Default Like a virgin

My wife and I saw M at Texas stadium at The a Like Virgin tour in 1982?She looked good then, sort of . What her politics are now I would have no interest in seeing her again ,ever. Just like our young and dumb Obamacans we thought she was cool ,but in reality has no substance .She looks like a bag of bones with skin.What do I know the only cd's that I have bought in 25 years was the stones greatest hits .

Old 11-18-2008, 07:06 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,867,431 times
We went to and I just thought she was terrific!!!!

Yeah she was late and stuff but she did an awesome job! Did not regret paying the 450 for a second.

Just too bad she did not have the American Pie song scheduled.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:09 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,867,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIAN77008 View Post
AGREED 100%. My favorite album of hers. Wish she would go back to her spiritual side. But I love Madonna. Her concert was great! Yes she showed up 2 hours late, but not sure how much of that is her doing or how much of that was Minute Maid officials holding her off so more beer and popcorn could be sold along with t-shirts, programs, etc.

Did anyone catch what she said during the concert, that it was her first time in Houston? WRONG. It was her second time. She opened her Blonde Ambition tour in 1990 but according to rumor received such bad press that she never came to Texas again.
I think you are totally right about that! It was supposed to start at 7.30pm and I think they opened the doors around 6.30-45 ish. So there was no way everybody could have been seated on time.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:36 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,148,494 times
I thought it was kinda funny when she told the people who were on the ground floor they needed excercise! I think she might have hit a nerve with what used was once "America's Fattest City"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston