Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 09:27 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Some people pay 6 bucks every day cause they are smoking. What is your point?

Also I had never seen her live, and I love her music. This comment was kind of inappropriate.

It wasn't really directed toward you, XodoX, nor was it toward Madonna, or any of her fans. It was just a general observation on how we are seriously not in a "crisis". Like the UT/OU game last month--people shelled out $500 for a pair of tix to that, yet all you see on the news is "this is the worst economy since the Great Depression". Balderdash. It's a load of crap. Yeah, the economy sucks right now in many parts of the country. Yeah, people are getting foreclosed on. Yeah, people have lost money...but dang, we're still paying out the arse to see Madonna and/or insert celebrity/sport/whatever here! If we were truly in a crisis, the only thing Madonna could afford to be eating is rice out of a paper cup--and then we'd really know why she looks like she does.

So, I hope you aren't offended and I hope I cleared that up somewhat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 11:34 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Yes I agree, it was a very good show but yes, she did make her fans wait over 2 hours any way you slice it.
Just wait until Guns N' Roses goes on tour for Chinese Democracy. I should run a pool on how long it takes before Axl A) makes people wait >2 hours before the set starts, B) plays a song or two before punking out and walking offstage or C) both "A" and "B."

Old 11-20-2008, 07:30 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Just wait until Guns N' Roses goes on tour for Chinese Democracy. I should run a pool on how long it takes before Axl A) makes people wait >2 hours before the set starts, B) plays a song or two before punking out and walking offstage or C) both "A" and "B."
You're likely right. I am not sure I want to taint my memories of "November Rain" with whatever he is doing now.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:47 AM

530 posts, read 2,037,185 times
No slash = no GNR. It's just an Axl Rose project.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:49 AM

530 posts, read 2,037,185 times
I don't mind the main act coming on an hour or two after the posted start time, so long as there's a good opening act and a reasonable (but not too long) intermission inbetween.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:21 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,867,431 times
I woulda paid much more than the 450 per ticket to see her

Old 11-21-2008, 08:25 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,867,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatroger View Post
Do not listen to a line of BS from the HATERS!!!!! It was fan-freakin-tastic.... she did not make us wait.. half the people were not even in the building at 7:30, she had nothing to do with that.. sound check was performed on time... i have to say it was worth the wait anyway.. they even messed up our seats and upgraded them.. and when i say upgraded, i mean upgraded... from section j last row on the floor to section k two rows back from section c.. amazing..... i would go back in a "HEARTBEAT"...... My legs, arms , back still hurts and my voice is still gone... aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I agree. Also, the line to get some alcohol was very long and it took some time to get it

Old 11-24-2008, 06:27 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
It wasn't really directed toward you, XodoX, nor was it toward Madonna, or any of her fans. It was just a general observation on how we are seriously not in a "crisis". Like the UT/OU game last month--people shelled out $500 for a pair of tix to that, yet all you see on the news is "this is the worst economy since the Great Depression". Balderdash. It's a load of crap. Yeah, the economy sucks right now in many parts of the country. Yeah, people are getting foreclosed on. Yeah, people have lost money...but dang, we're still paying out the arse to see Madonna and/or insert celebrity/sport/whatever here! If we were truly in a crisis, the only thing Madonna could afford to be eating is rice out of a paper cup--and then we'd really know why she looks like she does.
Maybe, but, with all due respect, Madonna could just be the exception that proves the rule.

1) She doesn't tour often so there's pent-up demand.

2) The tour didn't hit a ton of cities. I believe Houston was the only Texas date so there were probably lots of people in the audience from Austin, San Antonio, Dallas and even others states. That there are 20,000 people in a densely populated region of around 30 million who are willing to cough up big bucks for tickets doesn't necessarily connote broader implications for the economy. The same would be true for, say, the Stones or U2.

3) If you look at the broader media landscape -- movies, music, books, etc. -- the trend is either flat or down. (The big exception being video games). Of course, there will always be standouts -- like "Twilight" raking in $70 million this weekend.

4) Even in the darkest of times, there will be some people making money and others still willing to spend what little they have on what some might feel to be extraneous. For example, Hollywood boomed during the Great Depression but that didn't mean the Depression wasn't very real.

Just my .02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston