Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 11:51 AM

28 posts, read 121,891 times

Advertisements

I am looking to get comparables for houses on a specific street. Can anybody help me on how I can get these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 11:58 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,182,476 times
Try Harris County Appraisal District enter any address you want then after you are there you can compare surrounding properties. There's a button somewhere on the page you will be looking at to do that.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:15 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,320,635 times
You can only get true comps from a real estate agent, the HCAD office, or an appraiser. You cannot get sales prices off of hcad at all--only market value which is for tax appraisal purposes only.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:28 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,182,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
You can only get true comps from a real estate agent, the HCAD office, or an appraiser. You cannot get sales prices off of hcad at all--only market value which is for tax appraisal purposes only.
My daughter bought a house last year and hacd is real close to market value. We checked the selling prices with what hacd had them listed for taxes. I could call three appraisers and three real estate agents and get six different prices if I was putting my house up for sell... What you will get from a real estate agent is the sellers asking price which may be correct or may not be.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:44 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,195,726 times
Texas is a non-disclosure state so the sales price is not published. What you will see on certain websites is the loan amount or the asking price. You will also not see seller concessions. For example if a house is listed at 200K... then you see sales price of 190K... However,t he owner also paid the buyers closing costs of 5K and gave a repair allowance of 5K. So it really sold for 180K not 190K

Only a Realtor can give you the real comparables.

Sorry but I'm in Dallas, otherwide I would offer to send you comparables. Different MLS.

Naima

Old 11-22-2008, 12:54 PM

28 posts, read 121,891 times
Thanks Naima. Any houston realtor willing to help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
Texas is a non-disclosure state so the sales price is not published. What you will see on certain websites is the loan amount or the asking price. You will also not see seller concessions. For example if a house is listed at 200K... then you see sales price of 190K... However,t he owner also paid the buyers closing costs of 5K and gave a repair allowance of 5K. So it really sold for 180K not 190K

Only a Realtor can give you the real comparables.

Sorry but I'm in Dallas, otherwide I would offer to send you comparables. Different MLS.

Naima

Old 11-22-2008, 01:54 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,665,848 times
Find 3 similar homes. Look up the name of the owner/ deed information on the tax roll. Go to the courthouse or online document service and pull the deed to see what the people paid for the house.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:56 PM

637 posts, read 3,226,895 times
Just call a local realtor, it's a lot easier. There are lots of them out there right now just waiting for the phone to ring, you don't have to go further than a quick internet search, home magazine, bill boards, phone book etc...

Old 11-22-2008, 04:35 PM

637 posts, read 3,226,895 times
[quote=Houston3;6270215]My daughter bought a house last year and hacd is real close to market value. We checked the selling prices with what hacd had them listed for taxes. I could call three appraisers and three real estate agents and get six different prices if I was putting my house up for sell... What you will get from a real estate agent is the sellers asking price which may be correct or may not be.[/quote]

This couldn't be further from the truth; the "op" wants some comparable's for a particular street. "HCAD" is not the place to find those as tax appraisal values are all over the map; (usually anywhere from 60 to 110% of value) they will also more often than not have incorrect info on them about sq footage etc.. I agree about getting three appraisers and getting three different values; however the op does not want an "appraisal" done on their property, rather just an idea of what things on that particular street have sold for in the past. If a 100 realtors do a search for currently pending and previously sold properties on a given street, all the info will certainly match, and is the most accurate and easiest way to get what they're looking for. The op should just call a local realtor.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:26 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,195,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Find 3 similar homes. Look up the name of the owner/ deed information on the tax roll. Go to the courthouse or online document service and pull the deed to see what the people paid for the house.
The ONLY recorded information is the deed of trust which shows only the amount borrowed. There is no such document that is recorded that shows the sales price.

Naima
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston