Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2008, 03:01 PM

214 posts, read 595,372 times

Advertisements

I've gotten valuable advice from this board, so I thought I'd pose this question in hopes of getting good advice again.

This is me ~

The good: Relocating from GA to TX, have job (employer based in GA), work from home, own car outright, income is more than 3x monthly rent (w/max rent @ $1k), full-time student, 3 months living expenses in savings, can do double or triple deposit, no evictions/smoking/drugs/arrests/pets/loud lifestyle, have mother (GA) with 780+ score that MAY co-sign, but not co-tenant (would rather she be nice enough to help with mortgage, but that's a long, sad story for another day).

The bad: Recent mortgage lates (now short sale), single parent, no in-state references, 2 dependents (8th grade gifted kid and toddler - no daycare expenses), destroyed credit score as a result of mortgage lates (no crazy loan or anything, just combo of controllable and uncontrollable circumstances that have all been rectified. This is just the time when I suffer the negative consequences).

I know it's a lot, and I'm willing to go anywhere from 1 bd + den up to 3 bed, any number of bathrooms, apartment/condo/townhouse/single family, whatever. It just has to be safe, relatively clean, and zoned to a good middle school.

So, if you were a manager/owner/company... would you rent to me? What do I have to do to a) find one, and b) ease their mind?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-25-2008 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: Soliciting is not permitted per ToS. Therefore, I've edited your last sentence to conform to advice only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 07:54 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
You might try looking at condos with individual owners. They often rent and might be more understanding of your situation versus a corporate owned apartment, etc.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:01 AM

91 posts, read 293,384 times
Individual owners are the way to go. I'm renting a nice little house in Bellaire, and the application process wasn't stringent. They ran a credit check (fee was only 10 dollars) but put much more weight on references from my two previous landlords. Also, going to see the property gave me the chance to develop a rapport with the owner.

The good thing is that in Houston it's not hard to avoid the big apt complexes (and therefore mgmt companies) and deal with actual human property owners.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: