U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 11:36 AM

734 posts, read 962,311 times

Advertisements

I know that I've been hard on the lifestyles of Houstonians. But i think i figured it out the main trend; the reason why i disagree with so many people is the fact that I am 20 and it seems to me like the Newly-Married crowd love Houston and the single early 20's people are hoping for something more.

I bet that if you ask a 21 year old is he/she would prefer to live in Chicago or Houston he/she would prefer Chicago; which is a more vibrant scene

Ask that same question to a 30 year old newly wed than they would lean more toward Houston;Because perhaps they are ready to settle down.

Am i right?!?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 11:55 AM

299 posts, read 943,727 times
Seems logical, but that depends on a lot of factors. When I was 21 and in graduate school, I chose Houston because it was where I could afford to live. Most of my friends in Chicago (late 20's) like the idea of living in the city but are looking to get out to a place they can afford. It's hard to live alone and save for a house or condo and have an active social life if you live in Wrigleyville and only make 50k a year. Though many of them are able to save some by not owning a car.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:08 PM

4,754 posts, read 12,852,125 times
I have several friends who came to Houston to attend Rice University and they loved Houston so much, they never left. At least one of them is from the Midwest and specifically mentioned a dislike of snow.

Remind me again why you can't go to school some place else...

Old 11-26-2008, 12:16 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 11,859,087 times
Maybe. Houston is definitely lacking in public space, and I think that's the biggest impediment in creating that sense of vibrancy you're talking about. Hopefully, with the success of Discovery Green and added rail lines, Houstonians will begin to realize what is possible and what they're missing that other cities have, and that will change for the better. Houstonians are really our own worst enemy. Once we get out of our own way, we'll be unstoppable!

That said, I think the larger problem is you're a 20-year-old student living in Sugar Land (No offense, Topaz!) with your parents. I actually had a blast in my early 20's living inside the loop by myself and with roommates.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:16 PM

Ok well let me tweak the OP a little bit;

Besides the fact that Houston is so cheap would a 20 year old move to either Chicago or Houston???

if Topaz's post was directed toward me then...
UH is a decent school to some extent. There are way better school (waaay better) but
my parents wanted me to stay at the house and I didnt want to just leave them(which sounds kinda cheesy)

Old 11-26-2008, 12:27 PM

4,754 posts, read 12,852,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
That said, I think the larger problem is you're a 20-year-old student living in Sugar Land (No offense, Topaz!) with your parents. I actually had a blast in my early 20's living inside the loop by myself and with roommates.
I'm not offended! I couldn't imagine living with my parents during college, in Sugar Land or anywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
if Topaz's post was directed toward me then...
UH is a decent school to some extent. There are way better school (waaay better) but my parents wanted me to stay at the house and I didnt want to just leave them(which sounds kinda cheesy)
I don't think it sounds cheesy, except if you had good reasons to stay in Sugar Land while attending school, why not just accept the way things are instead of railing against Sugar Land and Houston and their supposed limitations? It seems like a lot of wasted energy.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:35 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,230,991 times
To many factors to pass judgment. Good Luck

Old 11-26-2008, 12:37 PM

I dont mean to complain on everything but i think that if there is enough "railing" someone somewhere will either vote for change or someone in a public office will do something;

i just want it to be an advocacy for a little bit of change. However there are obviously people that like things the way they are. And i use this thread to vent and get feedback if there is someone who could change my opinion or something

Old 11-26-2008, 12:41 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,230,991 times
No two city’s are alike and each city lacks what the other has or does not have.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:49 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 11,859,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
I dont mean to complain on everything but i think that if there is enough "railing" someone somewhere will either vote for change or someone in a public office will do something;

i just want it to be an advocacy for a little bit of change. However there are obviously people that like things the way they are. And i use this thread to vent and get feedback if there is someone who could change my opinion or something
Change what exactly? Things are changing. I see things changing on a daily basis. I'm not going to rag on the suburbs, but its citizens need to embrace downtown development even if they don't want to live there. That's one of the most noticeable differences in what makes Dallas more of a destination city while Houston is not; its residents support its central city and promote it as such. It is downtown and nearby environs that will help make Houston a destination. I think some of the 'burbanites are slowly realizing this. You should have seen downtown and some close-in areas ten or fifteen years ago! There's DG, the new skate park, there's rail now with more in the works, there's way, way more people living here. There are also projects like this International Coffee Building in the pipeline, and we just got a House of Blues (finally!). When Houston returns to its roots on the bayou in endeavors like this, and stops rolling over for the developers and letting them tear stuff down and rebuild crap in its place willy-nilly, that's when you'll see the vibrancy you dream of. We have all the ingredients. We just need to get our **** together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston