Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 09:57 AM

12 posts, read 53,537 times

Advertisements

Hi

I was talking to some builders in Telfair and they are giving very big price deductions for some houses with power lines going though the back yard and having Levy at the back. What you guys thinking about buying houses liek that? I am a first time buyer and have no idea what are the pros and cones of those houses?

thanks
Jimmy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 11:01 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
Just buy the house already(just kidding), ultimately you'll have to decide what's best for you and your family.

If you're buying the house to live in, all that matters is "do you like it?"

Old 11-30-2008, 01:25 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
If you're buying the house to live in, all that matters is "do you like it?"
I thought that, too, until the first time our family circumstances changed and we ended up having to sell a house unexpectedly. When we bought the house, we hadn't given any thought to resale value, only what we wanted and liked, and it cost us a lot of money in the end. I'll never buy another house again without thinking about resale value going in.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:34 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,398 times
I balked at a house that had a power line in the back yard...it stayed on the market for another 6 month and the price came down $160K! I do not mind the levees in the back as that would mean no back neighbors and some folks like that. you can always plant thing around to block the power lines.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:00 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyhere1 View Post
Hi

I was talking to some builders in Telfair and they are giving very big price deductions for some houses with power lines going though the back yard and having Levy at the back. What you guys thinking about buying houses liek that? I am a first time buyer and have no idea what are the pros and cones of those houses?

thanks
Jimmy
Quick question, Is it(poles and levy) in the backyard or in back of the fence? If it's behind the fence then I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:57 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,735,217 times
In my neighborhood the houses along the outside that have a levy behind them sell much slower than the inside houses.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:29 PM

530 posts, read 2,036,805 times
I've bought two houses w/ power lines overhead in back (poles are not actually in my yard, though). I gave second thoughts to it on both occasions. Ultimately, since they are low voltage lines that just feed the immediate homes, it didn't bother me.

On the other hand, when house-hunting I have walked away without even entering houses when they had HIGH voltage lines out back. The big high elevation/high voltage transmission lines. I wouldn't live near them, as I prefer not to have any body parts that glow.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:22 AM

152 posts, read 537,322 times
Also consider the risk of having the hurricane knock down the power line/pole; if it strucks your house, it could burn your house down.

Not to mention any potential health hazard of electromagnetic radiation from power line/pole (this one is subject to scientific controversy though)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyhere1 View Post
Hi

thanks
Jimmy

Old 04-23-2009, 05:44 PM

36 posts, read 115,841 times
If your house backs up to a levee won't it be the first to go when the levee breaks? That's what I think when I see homes backing up to them...but the previous poster is right- no back neighbors which some people like.

If the power line isn't going through your backyard then I wouldn't think it is a big deal- if it's on the other side of the fence and not noisy I would think that's a plus, especially if all you have behind your house is power line and no back neighbors.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:51 PM

3 posts, read 8,771 times
Default HV lines are going after my back yard

Hi Friends,

Iam a first time home buyer in cinco ranch-KAty-Houston, i saw a home back yard of the home, after my back yard fens around 30 feet HV lines are going on..no one on my back of the home. Is this a good to buy such type of home.

Thanks,
Srini..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston