Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:32 AM

7 posts, read 14,739 times

Advertisements

I have accepted a job in Stafford and am looking for a place to live. It will just be me so 1 bedroom will be fine (unless I can get somethine else cheaper). Doesn't have to be fancy, but does need to be nice and safe.

If anyone has any info about where to/not to live, what expected rent will be, a good apartment locator or anything else that would be great.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 08:31 PM

421 posts, read 1,727,018 times
Try the Alexan Stafford.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:29 PM

530 posts, read 2,036,976 times
There are a number of nice apartments in Stafford, actually. I don't know the names, but several new/nice complexes.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:15 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,588 times
why not look at first colony? near the mall shops, restaurants, etc. safer than Stafford too.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:54 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon7 View Post
why not look at first colony? near the mall shops, restaurants, etc. safer than Stafford too.
Is it really safer? Minus the area around Alt90/Murphy Rd (which is actually Fort Bend County) I'd say Stafford is just as safe as Sugar Land.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:28 PM

I have no problem with the area at Alt.90/Murphy. I looked at houses around there and they were top on my list before deciding on an old neighborhood in Sugar Land.

It may be notable to say that Stafford is very lightly populated. Mostly commercial, so other than a few apartments and a dozen or so neigbhorhoods, it's commercial. Hence, fairly unpopulated after business hours.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:06 PM

7 posts, read 29,623 times
The problem is that Stafford is kind of old and boring--and very industrial. It probably has the highest ratio of commercial / industrial properties to residential of anywhere in Houston outside of Pasadena. I grew up in Stafford (12518 Flaxseed Way) and graduated from Stafford High School. Lived there 18 yrs. So I know the city well. Just about every area is safe but I'd stick to one of the newer properties closer to 59 if I were ever moving back over there. (I live inside the Loop now and would never move back out.)

If it were me, I'd probably live closer to First Colony / Highway Six. Newer, more vibrant, more PEOPLE, more restaurants, shops, etc.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:15 PM

The backside of Stafford near 90@Murphy Rd. is about a 30 second drive from First Colony. Just FYI... Murphy onto Lexington. THERE. And a lot cheaper than First Colony, too.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:18 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
I have no problem with the area at Alt.90/Murphy. I looked at houses around there and they were top on my list before deciding on an old neighborhood in Sugar Land.

It may be notable to say that Stafford is very lightly populated. Mostly commercial, so other than a few apartments and a dozen or so neigbhorhoods, it's commercial. Hence, fairly unpopulated after business hours.
Stafford is getting more residents, though.

Look at Stafford High School - Stafford High School, Stafford Texas / TX school information and ethnic makeup - It has an ever-increasing population.

Stafford needs to annex "Fifth Street," which is in the Stafford ETJ.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:01 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Stafford is getting more residents, though.

Look at Stafford High School - Stafford High School, Stafford Texas / TX school information and ethnic makeup - It has an ever-increasing population.

Stafford needs to annex "Fifth Street," which is in the Stafford ETJ.
I'm not sure they should. The following areas I am speaking of have Stafford addresses, but are in unincorporated Fort Bend County. I lived in Stafford Run Apartments, which is nearby. Shortly after I moved out, somebody was shot in the parking lot. This didn't include an incident where somebody pulled a gun on a bunch of kids playing basketball. There was a murder on the other side of Murphy at a tatoo parlor and 5th street has had murders and a lot of crime. Avenue E/Murphy Rd. area is steadily declining. Kroger pulled out, the strip malls are emptying and as I stated above, there have been several murders in that area the last couple of years. Meadows Place left Stafford a few decades ago to separate itself from Stafford's reputation. Stafford doesn't need that area's reputation to bring itself down even further since in reality Stafford is a fine and safe city overall and the reputation is unwarranted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston