U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 05:57 PM

9,274 posts, read 24,902,097 times

Advertisements

If the place didn't have abad enough rep before, and if it wasn't totally dead yet............now it is.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/18206150/detail.html (broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 06:13 PM

9 posts, read 79,291 times
That's one reason I live in Katy!

Old 12-04-2008, 06:22 PM

8,785 posts, read 18,366,326 times
The news says it was drug related, so those who've lived in Houston for any amount of time know that drug and violence issues have been around that place forever. I hate to see any more violence in this city but it isn't too shocking that it happened there.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:10 PM

6,872 posts, read 13,809,486 times
I can't believe this happened during the day. Southwest Houston is getting out of control. We need a mayor that will put some drastic action into place to put an end to the growing crime in that area.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:15 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 7,766,755 times
dang, did you really need to exaggerate? thats minus 2 goons from sharpstown if you ask me

Old 12-04-2008, 09:12 PM

9,600 posts, read 15,593,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I can't believe this happened during the day. Southwest Houston is getting out of control. We need a mayor that will put some drastic action into place to put an end to the growing crime in that area.
Really? Southwest Houston is getting out of control? So Meyerland, West U, the Med Center and Royal Oaks are that bad now? The real issue Houston has is the fact they refer to half of the city as "Southwest Houston". Another issue is the fact that people assume the whole Sharpstown neighborhood is like the mall. If you actually took the time to drive around the residential neighborhoods I think you would be quite surprised how nice these neighborhoods are. Somebody is going to get rich investing in Sharpstown. It is full of beautiful houses, is not far from the Loop and is located on 59. Not to mention, two of the best Catholic schools in the state are located in Sharpstown. The mall has its issues and so do the apartments nearby. So do the apartments off of Memorial near Kirkwood. And I don't think anyone would say the area between Stratford High and Bunker Hill are bad. My brother is the type of person that thinks Sharpstown is a war zone. He lives in Sugar Land. It seems to me this is the opinion of many who don't ever leave the towns they live in like Sugar Land, Katy, Pearland or the Woodlands but seem to be "experts" on neighborhoods they haven't been to in 30 years.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:13 PM

9,221 posts, read 14,837,930 times
It was drug related, therefore, nothing to worry about too much. The only bad parts in Sharpstown are the apartment complexes. The homes are actually pretty nice (I have some family who live in the single-family homes), and there is nothing to worry about. Value has been rising there.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:56 PM

9,221 posts, read 14,837,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Really? Southwest Houston is getting out of control? So Meyerland, West U, the Med Center and Royal Oaks are that bad now? The real issue Houston has is the fact they refer to half of the city as "Southwest Houston". Another issue is the fact that people assume the whole Sharpstown neighborhood is like the mall. If you actually took the time to drive around the residential neighborhoods I think you would be quite surprised how nice these neighborhoods are. Somebody is going to get rich investing in Sharpstown. It is full of beautiful houses, is not far from the Loop and is located on 59. Not to mention, two of the best Catholic schools in the state are located in Sharpstown. The mall has its issues and so do the apartments nearby. So do the apartments off of Memorial near Kirkwood. And I don't think anyone would say the area between Stratford High and Bunker Hill are bad. My brother is the type of person that thinks Sharpstown is a war zone. He lives in Sugar Land. It seems to me this is the opinion of many who don't ever leave the towns they live in like Sugar Land, Katy, Pearland or the Woodlands but seem to be "experts" on neighborhoods they haven't been to in 30 years.
Completely agree! I'd pick to live in the city, in one of the Sharpstown single-family home communities any day over far out suburbs like Katy.

I also have no idea why people call the Medical Center "Southwest Houston". The news media here has a problem with that.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:09 AM

8,366 posts, read 28,867,148 times
Well they can't call it South Houston, because that's a city of its own (on the SE side). So anything west of 288 on the south side is automatically lumped into "SW Houston."

Old 12-05-2008, 07:32 AM

2,639 posts, read 7,742,974 times
They also routinely call West Houston SW Houston. It is really strange.
I agree it is typically the apartments that are the problem. Sharpstown had a building boom of apartments. They were those massive Harold Farb projects that were nice in the 70's but now they are full of gangs. Same for Broadway near Hobby. Glenbrook Valley was so nice until they built all those apartments around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston