Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 09:25 PM

166 posts, read 409,831 times

Advertisements

I have seen the chart and hear Houston is a lot more Humid than Dalla or Atlanta. Do people hibernate in the summer or what do they do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 09:55 AM

22,999 posts, read 34,268,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyL View Post
I have seen the chart and hear Houston is a lot more Humid than Dalla or Atlanta. Do people hibernate in the summer or what do they do?
You"re going to get all kinds of different answers to this because some can take the humidity and some can't, I can't. Yes I hibernate from about May till November. For me it is unbearable.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:05 AM

50 posts, read 139,660 times
I very seldom agree with "I Love North Carolina", but she is right in that it is humid in Houston during the summer, and some people can take it while others cannot. Houston is in a SUB_TROPICAL zone. During the summer months, the wind generally is out of the South which brings in Gulf of Mexico humidity. Everything is air conditioned around here, and the most get used to the humidity within a year or two. From October to May, the weather is great. I find myself missing the humidity when I travel to drier/colder climates. Contrary to popular belief, people do go outside in Houston in the summer. We plan our activities around the weather, and manage to exist like everyone else.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:16 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,574,467 times
It's humid year round. Right now in downtown, it is 66 with humidity of 79% according to the weather channel website. The wind is also out of the S-SE (prevaliing).

When cold fronts come through, it dries things out but it never lasts for very long. The humidity gradually comes right back. You can tell once the wind shifts from the N to the S.

Sometimes cold fronts can come through and it'll still be humid, as displayed by frost (frozen dew). The grass here is almost always wet in the early morning, year-round.

Otherwise, I don't think there's much reason to hibernate in the summer. I'm still outdoors in the peak of the summer. Staying hydrated & taking showers helps. You can't let the weather box you in and keep you from living your life!!!

Old 12-08-2008, 10:22 AM

421 posts, read 1,720,262 times
The humidity is AWFUL, and I do not leave the house during the middle of the day unless I am going to the pool.

Atlanta is HOT in the summer during the day, but night are cool. The humidity level is lower which makes the same 95 degree day that one would experience in Houston, bearable.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:18 PM

407 posts, read 1,729,547 times
I agree with the others, some people hibernate while others do not. I'm a native Floridian living in Houston and I'm outside all summer long. We have a pool which makes the heat easier to bear. I also exercise (run) outside during the spring, summer and fall. If it's below 60 I won't run, I'll go to the YMCA instead! Our family also goes camping year round unless it's cold. So actually, now that I think about it, our family hibernates when it's cold and I know it's really not that cold here . We're just low temp wimps.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:07 PM

22,999 posts, read 34,268,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen_jane View Post
I agree with the others, some people hibernate while others do not. I'm a native Floridian living in Houston and I'm outside all summer long. We have a pool which makes the heat easier to bear. I also exercise (run) outside during the spring, summer and fall. If it's below 60 I won't run, I'll go to the YMCA instead! Our family also goes camping year round unless it's cold. So actually, now that I think about it, our family hibernates when it's cold and I know it's really not that cold here . We're just low temp wimps.
That's funny, when it's below 60 is when I come out

Old 12-08-2008, 04:18 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,635,933 times
Houston: Putting the "H(o)u" in "humidity" since 1836!

Old 12-08-2008, 04:24 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,772,829 times
Splash parks, swimming pools, and beaches.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:37 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,410,064 times
What's humidity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston