U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2008, 09:30 AM

84 posts, read 326,671 times

Advertisements

I am wondering is there any kind of sealant or something that can keep the Fence not to change color to Grey/black. That kind of gives very old look.

I don't want to change the outside fence look since HOA won't allow it.

I am talking about the inside Fence that you can see from your backyard/side yard etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 09:52 AM

77 posts, read 351,978 times
I think you can use Thompson's Water Seal if the fence hasn't gotten discolored yet, Home Depot sells it. If it's grey already, you can use a power washer to blow the stuff off. Or if you want to do it the hard way, you can mix some dish soap + bleach + water and spraying it on the fence. Let it sit for a few minutes then scrub/brush it off. The latter method is more labor intensive but yields the same results.

I am suprised that your HOA does not allow you to stain your fence. My old HOA allows it, but you have to get their permission first .

Old 12-08-2008, 09:59 AM

84 posts, read 326,671 times
Its Cinco SW. I assumed that they won't allow to seal the outside Fence it would be different from other Fences.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:38 AM

How retarded is your HOA? In addition to making your fence look better, it serves as protection from the elements. The fences that come with a new house are the usually made from the cheapest wood the contractor can dole up. These fences will not last very long if not taken care of. Boards will rot and warp after awhile. Also, a lot of times the contractors don’t do it right and place the boards too close to the ground. This has a wicking effect when the ground is wet. With time, you will see the boards rot from the bottom up.

There are some “clear” stains out available. It doesn’t change the color of the wood but does protect it. Do you have to get permission to clean off the grey stuff on the outside of your fence too? I guess you can always just stain the side facing you but that doesn’t protect the wood. Good Luck.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:39 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 7,821,233 times
lots of colors available from HomeDepot. I stained the inside of my fence with those

i sealed the outer side of my fence too. the sealants just prolong the 'newness'. now its greyish brown - thats better than rotten grey of course. I think the HOA made it illegal to seal the fence - to me this only applies if a row fences belong to many homes so that it one seals the fence the color would be off. it should be ok if its not adjacent to another set of fencing.
sealing/staining probably costs the same as changing the planks every 3 years also the hurricanes would help you kick off that project later

Old 12-08-2008, 10:57 AM

I guess the grey look is en vogue with the HOA there. Just curious, but would you be in trouble if you decide to power wash your fence every other year or so? Do you have to get permission to stain the inside of the fence as well?

Old 12-08-2008, 12:11 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,215,484 times
I'm pretty sure the "changing the outside fence look" rule from the HOA probably means that your fence can't be red or something. Cleaning and clear-sealing your fence is probably perfectly fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>