Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2008, 09:32 AM

84 posts, read 342,971 times

Advertisements

Anyone have painted their Garage Floor to keep it nice and clean from the Car Oil/ Tire dirt etc? Can you please suggest what do you use and how much it costs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 10:06 AM

77 posts, read 368,961 times
You can get a kit at Home Deport or Lowes by the paint section. Make sure you clean the cement floor well or it will not stick. Also, don’t go cheap and use regular paint because it will peel up for sure.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:53 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,126,714 times
I dont recommend the the 2 part epoxy kit. I recommend the one they mix after you pic a color. This one paints on thinner and dries faster so you can recoat as desired asap or even retouch much later. it wont crack or peel too, and not as slippery (has a eggshell finish) after extreme hot days to cold nights

Old 12-08-2008, 11:07 AM

182 posts, read 769,295 times
I would strongly recommend that you do an acid-wash prior to painting whatever you do, AFTER doing the normal degreaser-type cleaing. (you can buy it from the paint dept. but really it's just muriatic acid at a higher price) This will eat off the very thin top surface of the concrete making it rougher and letting the paint bond better. Just be sure to protect yourself from the acid and keep the door open when you do!

Old 12-09-2008, 12:34 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,312,694 times
Check moisture levels before you do anything.

Take a piece of poly, duct tape a square about 3'x3' to the garage floor. Wait a few days, come back.

If there is any dampness under the poly, (the concrete goes dark) don't bother putting anything down as the moisture from the slab/under the slab will simply lift whatever coating you put down.

If you have a moisture problem, and still want to keep the dust down, use Thompsons water seal or other wax based coating and re-do every six months or so when it wears away.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:35 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,312,694 times
Or you could just go to Costco and get the big garage sized vinyl mat that looks like checkerplate steel and use that.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:06 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,291,306 times
Having owned two homes, and doing two garages, and also using the one can water based finish on one home, and the two part epoxy mix on the other home, here are my observations, and opinion.

The one part product goes on well, allows you to smooth out any problem areas and give you more time to work with it. You can even stop, and come back later to finish.

The two part epoxy goes on well too, but begins to harden sooner, so you always need a maintain a wet edge, or the worked areas will not match. You can ruin a finish easily if you go over it again once the hardening process begins to take effect with the 2 part epoxy. The one part finish leaves a much thinner coat than the epoxy of course.

The finish for the 2 part epoxy is much more durable, and can be made with a texture if desired. The one part works okay with spilled liquids, dirt, mud, and grease as is the 2 part product, however, the one part finish did not fair too well with acidic liquids, and caused blotching, even removed the finish as the result of contact. I have spilled paint stripper on the epoxy finish and wiped it up within a few minutes without effect on the finish. However, I left some sit for 15 minutes, and it did eat through the epoxy. I don't usually use paint strippers in the garage because of the fumes, so it's not really a problem.

The car tires left their mark on the one part finish and it could not be cleaned off. The one part mix shows wear only after a few months, but if you use the speckled finish, or the textured finish, it may not be easy to tell. The 2 part epoxy finish was much easier to clean up, and the result was a look that was just as hard and clean as the day it went on, even after a few years.

The one part is less expensive than the 2 part epoxy, but as they say, you pay for what you get. If you will use your garage for purposes such as wood working, I would suggest to get the smooth finish, and avoid texture as textured floors cannot be swept up easily. In any case, I would suggest the 2 part epoxy finish.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:16 PM

29 posts, read 50,880 times
Default Garage Floor

I suggest you sweep and mop the floor and the buy some muric acid and mop this on the floor let it set for a couple of hours and then rinse it down with a water house open your garage door put a fan on it let it dry good for a couple of day then buy porch and deck enamel (oil base.Kelly Moore paint co. has it )after the first coat let it dry for a couple of days before applying the 2nd. coat Do not thin the paint put a llittle of pentrol in your paint this does not thin the paint it makes it work evenly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston