Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 03:36 PM

3 posts, read 8,799 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I've been kind of reading around on these boards and have gotten some good advice. First time posting . So my wife and I are looking to relocate to houston, hence my stalking the boards. Her job is forcing her to move. My job is fine with it.

Basically we're looking at building a house in Sienna Plantation, and the builder has offered us a discount of 6000 on the land and 75% off of 15,000 dollars in builders credits. Does anyone know if this is a good deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 04:12 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,003,562 times
Congratulations on your first post, and welcome!

I'll try not to be a wise guy in my response. First off, I think Sienna Plantation is in Missouri City, not Houston (as your post suggests). Secondly, I don't think you can necessarily trust the builder with those discounts without knowing what the real values are. As an example, a store could have an item that routinely sells for $100. The seller could say, "Look, it costs $300, but we'll give you a $75 discount and a new buyer credit of $25". So that $100 item would end up costing $200. They can say anything to make the deal sound sweet, but the actuals are what would be more important.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:13 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,142,120 times
What builder?

Old 04-29-2011, 05:35 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,740,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewmatt View Post
Hey everyone, I've been kind of reading around on these boards and have gotten some good advice. First time posting . So my wife and I are looking to relocate to houston, hence my stalking the boards. Her job is forcing her to move. My job is fine with it.

Basically we're looking at building a house in Sienna Plantation, and the builder has offered us a discount of 6000 on the land and 75% off of 15,000 dollars in builders credits. Does anyone know if this is a good deal?
Those numbers don't mean anything, you need to look at the price per sq. ft. of the house. I remember once the builder here took their listings off har.com before a big sales event. I went to the model to check things out and they had marked the inventory prices up 25k over what they had them listed before and were offering a one time super special 25k off list price sales event!

Old 04-29-2011, 05:47 PM

3 posts, read 8,799 times
Haha yes, thats exactly what I'm afraid of - yes we'll give you 75% off this 400% marked up upgrade. We're from DC so prices here are drastically higher than prices out there - mostly driven by the footprint of the house. Our 1000 sq ft townhouse is the same cost as the house we spec-ed out there.

Yes you're 100% right I'll correct the heading of this post to Missouri City.

Meritage was the builder we were dealing with. So obviously anyone with any experience good or bad I'd love to hear about it.

The Price per square foot was $73

Old 04-29-2011, 06:10 PM

Funny because Meritage was the builder I was talking about above. That being said we bought our house from Meritage and have been very happy with it and the prices on the Meritages have held up better here than e other builders homes. You need to get with an agent to run comps and see if you are getting a good price. There are a couple good ones on this board who can help you out and the builder already prices their commission into the house so you may as well utilize them and just ask for a % rebate back if you already have the house picked and they don't need to drive you around to look at properties.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:32 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
Why would you want to inflict all that stress on yourselves building a home when there are over a half million existing homes for sale? Many at fire sale prices. That builder saw a sucker coming. I know you said Houston prices were higher then DC but I know you said that by mistake. That builder knew you'd think his house was cheap compared to DC prices.

Though south Texas is not as bad off as most of the country as far as falling real estate prices, I still see it coming here too. You better be stealing the house you buy or you'll be owing more then the value in a couple years. All the half full thinking people and those who believe whatever their govt tells them will say otherwise but they are wrong. They been guessing the wrong guesses for 5 years now. I'd say it's time to ignore them.

Good luck in your ventures.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:47 PM

desertsun is our local end of the world pessimist but I do agree that in the current market is really makes more sense to buy something already built. Also if you buy in a neighborhood with new construction expect to sell your house at a loss if you move within 5 years. Better to buy in an established area.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:03 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,794,828 times
And you're the next pessimist after desertsun I am kidding, seriously....

Actually there is a good chance that building a house could also get you a fantastic deal if you have good negotiation skills and the builder is hungry.
I got mine down from $145 to $104 SQ/F in a top neighborhood in Sugar Land.... I had the time and the money so it was up to me to sign on the deal I wanted.

If you don't try pushing it during negotiation, you really don't know how far they can go. Good for thought .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
desertsun is our local end of the world pessimist but I do agree that in the current market is really makes more sense to buy something already built. Also if you buy in a neighborhood with new construction expect to sell your house at a loss if you move within 5 years. Better to buy in an established area.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:01 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,204,558 times
Meritage is a good builder. If you are building from dirt, they have just added a pre-sheetrock meeting into the mix. I really like that.

That said, you can always get a better deal on an inventory homes, as opposed to one that you will have built.

With a re-sale, the yard may be bigger. It seems they just keep getting smaller with each passing year, on new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston