Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 04:07 AM

5 posts, read 13,079 times

Advertisements

My son is being transferred to Galveston from Erie, PA. Any advice about neighborhoods in commuting distance? How's Friendswood area? Considering buying a home. Need good schools. I hear the west side of I-45 is the side to stay on because of flooding. Any comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2006, 06:56 AM

14 posts, read 47,687 times
If you're looking into moving to Galveston itself, I'd recommend the west end for neighborhoods. I moved here a few years ago from the midwest and am not very impressed with the island's public school system. I've heard there are many nice school districts on the mainland, but keep in mind that you'll have a fairly long commute. The commute to Friendswood is about 45 minutes to an hour, but I've heard some really nice things about that area.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:56 AM

320 posts, read 1,557,016 times
Friendswood and Pearland are great areas. Friendswood schools are really good and makes Friendswood very desireable as a result. This has caused the real estate in Friendswood to be a little on the high side. However, resale is pretty good to so it is worth it. Pearland is really growing and has become another area that people want to live.

If you look in the League City area, the neighborhoods are split between 2 school districts. Try to stay away from the Dickinson ISD - unless you are in a neighborhood that has their own school.

Bacliff is quickly growing too. Taxes are a little cheaper there and there are no MUD taxes. They are in the DISD but are building their own school. We own a home in the Chase Park subdivision which is really nice. It is not in a flood zone. Chase Park is finishing their last phase this year I believe so values should start to appreciate. 2 more large subdivisions are planned for the area but I am not sure how quickly they will go up. My understanding is that some will have water lots which will probably be very expensive. A lot of commercial developing is going on now too. This was once a rural area with mostly refineries, I suspect this area is getting ready to turn around. This is probably the time to buy into this area.

There is a website that you can check to see if a property is in a flood zone. I forget what it is but a goggle search should produce it. There are areas prone to flooding all over, including in Friendswood and Pearland.

I have friends in Santa Fe. They really like this area a lot.

Last edited by Jewels36; 06-14-2006 at 06:59 AM..

Old 12-19-2007, 02:05 PM

4 posts, read 10,149 times
Galveston is nice to visit but having grown up on the gulf coast and went to Ball High in Galveston, it can be a really nasty place. The West End is good but you still have the enfluence of Galveston rift-raft. Friendswood is nice but is almost an hour away. Sante Fe / Hitchcock are nice, and if you like it a little more friendly and home town appeal Try Port Bolivar/Crystal Beach you will have to deal with the ferry but If you are raising a family it may be worth it.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:14 PM

257 posts, read 986,408 times
we are in the coast guard and live in friendswood the school is one of the best in the state and you will find no better school anywhere around here the sat scores are 1140 and practically no crime.The housing can be high but you can find cheaper older homes.The town is only 36,000 people and will not be able to grow much bigger which means it wont get ruined.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:16 PM

657 posts, read 2,544,415 times
Friendswood is really nice, but if you think the commute is too long, League City would knock about 10 minutes off of it. Those are the 2 choices I would go with.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:43 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,569,183 times
Check out La Marque or Texas City these are the last 2 cities on the main land before you get to g town. Both of these cities have nice neighborhoods low traffic crime & your less than 10 min from g town.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:25 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by termkiller View Post
Galveston is nice to visit but having grown up on the gulf coast and went to Ball High in Galveston, it can be a really nasty place. The West End is good but you still have the influence of Galveston rift-raft. Friendswood is nice but is almost an hour away. Sante Fe / Hitchcock are nice, and if you like it a little more friendly and home town appeal Try Port Bolivar/Crystal Beach you will have to deal with the ferry but If you are raising a family it may be worth it.
When you say nasty can you be a bit more specific?

I'm planning a move to Galveston and have 3 kids, 1 entering High School next year, and 1 in Jr. High, and one in Elementary.

And what do you consider rift raft? Is it because its a coastal community they are just more laid back and relaxed? Is it lots of hate or racial stuff? Or gangs? Maybe the teachers just dont do their jobs? fill me in more please.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:25 AM

257 posts, read 986,408 times
My family has lived in houston since 1889 and galveston has always been a nasty place to raise kids.Its because its a port town surrounded by oil field companies chemical factories and hundreds of other industries.These companies employ thousands of illegals that roam around cleaning cruise ships and getting drunk.Also lots of whites and black drunks are attracted to this town for the last hundred years or more.It has gotten nicer in areas but i would not raise kids in this town.There are lots of good surrounding towns that are great such as Friendswood,League city,clear lake.I would not live anywhere else within an hours drive of Galveston.I guess you can call me a hater if you like but thats my bad i guess.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:43 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbucle View Post
My family has lived in Houston since 1889 and Galveston has always been a nasty place to raise kids.Its because its a port town surrounded by oil field companies chemical factories and hundreds of other industries.These companies employ thousands of illegals that roam around cleaning cruise ships and getting drunk.Also lots of whites and black drunks are attracted to this town for the last hundred years or more.It has gotten nicer in areas but i would not raise kids in this town.There are lots of good surrounding towns that are great such as Friendswood,League city,clear lake.I would not live anywhere else within an hours drive of Galveston.I guess you can call me a hater if you like but thats my bad i guess.
Naw not a hater.. just someone with an opinion. I'd like more opinions. Thanks for your input. I may need to spend more time out there and get a better idea of the place. I have a very old impression, and then a newer couple day impression, and I saw major improvement over the last time I was there. I have spent more time in Corpus, and only seen the city start to dive.. but then again I have not been back in a year or so, so that may of changed. I know I want to be on the Texas Gulf Coast.. I will have to look into the other places mentioned.. I have not done so thus far. As long as I can get that texas Coastal feel... nothing like it any place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston