Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 07:49 AM

6 posts, read 13,699 times

Advertisements

I moved to Houston from New York about 2 months ago, and it's been great. It's warm, it's beautiful, and I have no complaints...except that I am craving pizza and bagels something fierce. Are there any good (I mean really good, not Einstein bagels and Domino's good) places to get a pizza and/or bagel? I live in TMC area, but will travel for food! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 10:28 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,411,503 times
New York Pizzeria is really good. It is the closest thing I've gotten to real New York Pizza. There's supposed to be another place on Main, I think, that is known for great NY style pizza...can't remember what it's called though. You can't beat Collina's though, IMHO, for best pizza around. They're just awesome. There's a Collina's in Rice Village close to you!

Bagels, what about Hot Bagel Shop on Shepherd? They're owned by a NJ fam!

Old 11-27-2008, 10:33 AM

421 posts, read 1,727,315 times
I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Palazzo's. Their pizza is first rate, as are the other dishes.

I have yet to try Kenny and Ziggy's but I have heard that their bagels are excellent.

I worked a part time job with a girl of Jewish heritage. She suggested that I visit a restaurant at Hilcroft and Braeswood that served traditional NYC bagels and other breakfast fare. I have yet to visit, but perhaps someone else on this board might attest to the quality of the foodl

Old 11-29-2008, 09:46 AM

756 posts, read 1,883,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommiePreMed View Post
I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Palazzo's. Their pizza is first rate, as are the other dishes.

I have yet to try Kenny and Ziggy's but I have heard that their bagels are excellent.

I worked a part time job with a girl of Jewish heritage. She suggested that I visit a restaurant at Hilcroft and Braeswood that served traditional NYC bagels and other breakfast fare. I have yet to visit, but perhaps someone else on this board might attest to the quality of the foodl
Palazzo's is a great recommend. Meyerland is Houston's traditional Jewish area, so perhaps some good bagel shops may be near there?
Star Pizza is a local pizza place, pretty good, but more Chicago than New York. Hot Bagel Shop on Shepherd is a good suggestion for bagels.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:59 PM

5 posts, read 22,479 times
Try Luigi's Pizza- 3700 Almeda Rd. It's a block or so north of Alabama St. on the edge of downtown/midtown. I moved here from the New Haven CT area and missed a good pie.
Not too far from TMC either.

New York Pizzeria, as suggested, is good also. You have to ask them to cook it "well" IMO for a good pizza experience. Do NOT order a slice, whole pies are much, much better. One of their locations (hwy. 290 @ hwy. 6 ) has a coal oven and it's better than the others. Kinda far though.

Grimaldi's of Brooklyn is opening a restaurant at the First Colony Mall in Sugar Land. Can't wait to try that!!!!

Old 12-01-2008, 11:18 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,290,932 times
Star pizza is really good!

Old 12-01-2008, 03:17 PM

448 posts, read 1,588,401 times
Fuzzys Pizzeria

New York Bagels & Cofee Shop on Hillcroft, makes fresh bagels daily.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:15 PM

202 posts, read 807,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommiePreMed View Post
Wonderful bagels and diner food. Go early on the weekends if you want to dine in as they fill up fast and the wait can get long. They make their own flavored cream cheeses and have a lot of bagel flavors to choose from. It's a little tucked away off the side of Braeswood in a strip mall.

For very good thin crust pizza, try Russo's Coal Fired Pizza off 290.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:08 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,438,742 times
Brothers Pizza is the closest I've come to New York style pizza. The guys are all transplanted New Yorkers so it should be about right.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:31 PM

95 posts, read 338,399 times
Palazzo's is indeed good.

Pink's Pizza is also good.

Hot Bagel Shop was on the rat and roach report a while back.

Dolce Vita is an oft talked about pizza/italian place in foodie circles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston