Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 12:15 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowmenace View Post
This type of attitude is typical of what you'd get from a Houstionian/Texan in general. A complete inability to accept criticism and an automatic defensive response that smacks of xenophobia and intolerance.
You've got that right.

You're clogging up roadways and possibly occupying a job that is better given to somebody else. The "boom" is over, so I'd just as soon everyone who doesn't want to be here find someplace that makes them happy.

So, yes, it is what it is. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

Y'all come back now, y'hear. Or don't, because I really don't give a damn. It's your choice and at the end of the day it has nothing to do with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 12:38 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,516,684 times
Quote:
Retarded? Can you provided an intelligent counter-argument to the issues I've raised on Houston instead of resorting to personal attacks? I rest my case. As for other cities, I won't argue that you'll also find defensive residents hacking me down. But I WILL argue that vastly greater porportions of those folks are willing to at least consider divergent views and attempt to see certain degrees of truth. For a Texan, that's setting the bar a little too high.

No, I never even alluded to a belief that EVERY American city is intolerant so stop putting words in my mouth. My comments were focused on Houston. America is a great country and I'm willing to give it the benefit of my doubt by not judging it by what I've seen in Houston.
However, the fact that every city in America's residents would defend themselves against baseless attacks would mean that they are intolerant too as you say Houston is. So, as has been proven before, you are wrong. Just let it be dude, you can't win here, just chill out and when you have enough $ then move, it's that simple. Life is too short to be angry all the time.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:45 PM

Myself, I'm not defending anything. There is a whole cross-section of people in this city who I'd like to see disappear (including, but by no means limited to, people who peel out in SUVs) and if they decide they don't like it here, I'm honestly beside myself with joy. And joy is what Christmas is all about.

So thank you for the early Christmas present, yellowmenace.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:21 PM

17 posts, read 31,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
However, the fact that every city in America's residents would defend themselves against baseless attacks would mean that they are intolerant too as you say Houston is. So, as has been proven before, you are wrong. Just let it be dude, you can't win here, just chill out and when you have enough $ then move, it's that simple. Life is too short to be angry all the time.
These attacks are hardly baseless. They're founded on real, on-the-ground experiences from myself and many many other transplants to Houston. Obviously I can't win when I'm on YOUR turf. You can think what you want of Houston and I'm not going to change my opinions one iota either. So I will continue to present dissenting views of this place as I see fit. I do agree, life is too short to remain angry. Which is why I will be gone shortly.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:27 PM

17 posts, read 31,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
You've got that right.

You're clogging up roadways and possibly occupying a job that is better given to somebody else. The "boom" is over, so I'd just as soon everyone who doesn't want to be here find someplace that makes them happy.

So, yes, it is what it is. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

Y'all come back now, y'hear. Or don't, because I really don't give a damn. It's your choice and at the end of the day it has nothing to do with me.
Well according to my employer, with the backing of Homeland Security, they apparently can't find an American who loves Houston but can also fulfill the responsibilities required for my position. That's why the U.S. granted me this work visa so I can come do this job.

But if you personally know of a Houston lover who can design AC power distribution systems and program in PLC, let me know and I'll gladly pass on the resume.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
But if you personally know of a Houston lover who can design AC power distribution systems and program in PLC, let me know and I'll gladly pass on the resume.
Do they have to be a bigoted [MOD CUT] too or is that just a "plus," like being bilingual or something?

Anyway, happy trails.

Last edited by jfre81; 12-21-2008 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: language

Old 12-21-2008, 10:13 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueatari View Post
They are selling shirts that say 'Keep Houston Ugly!'.

Somehow a suburban planned cookie cutter community 30 miles SW outside the city doesn't convince a lot of people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Dude, why don't you troll somewhere else. You are in the vast minority here in Houston. Almost all of us are out loving life and enjoying this fine city, except you. That says something about you, not the city. Maybe you should head out to a city that you like instead of whining constantly here.
blueatari isn't even in Houston. He's in St. Louis I think. That's the sad thing.

The cookie-cutter he refers to is Sugar Land. Maybe he's mad it made #3 in the country on a recent "best places" list, while St. Louis made another top places for crime list.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:13 PM

492 posts, read 1,149,865 times
Quote:
These attacks are hardly baseless. You can think what you want of Houston and I'm not going to change my opinions one iota either. So I will continue to present dissenting views of this place as I see fit. I do agree, life is too short to remain angry. Which is why I will be gone shortly.

What happened to healthy debate????

Old 12-21-2008, 10:18 PM

Meh. Lists, schmists. Bunch of arbitrary magazine hackery done by people who haven't been to most of the places they talk about, going on a bunch of abstract statistics instead.

Given the current economic climate, when I see Houston listed on a "Best Places To Work" I cringe. "Oh yes, give us your unemployed huddled masses. It's the land of milk and honey here." Whatever.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:20 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Houston. We Don't Need A Lame Slogan.
Love this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston