Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 03:57 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,333 times

Advertisements

Wait a minute.. so is it annual or monthly?

If it's annual then that's not high at all .. but I am pretty sure that is monthly.. and actually on that same home on another real estate site it said HOA: $495 which I thought was pretty darn high.. I guess it is because you get a lake..

Hey if I can get them a 3 or 4 bedroom house with a yard for that price then they won't mind.. you have no idea what kind of crappy 2-bedroom apartments they are used to for double and even triple that price.. nothing like these spacious Houston apartments with marble kitchens and bathrooms..

Anyway does anyone know specifically about the crime in that area ? Is it a bad or good area ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 04:06 PM

Wow.. this significantly changes my budget if HOA is yearly.. I guess I just assumed it was listed monthly like a condo.. I had been expecting $800 a month for the HOA on both my home and my in-laws home..

So if it says $450 or $200 for example that means yearly? If it's that low like $176 that's per year? Or could that possibly be per month?

Old 12-29-2008, 04:17 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,597,258 times
They are yearly dues.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:26 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,308,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasksgirl View Post
Wait a minute.. so is it annual or monthly?

If it's annual then that's not high at all .. but I am pretty sure that is monthly.. and actually on that same home on another real estate site it said HOA: $495 which I thought was pretty darn high.. I guess it is because you get a lake..

Hey if I can get them a 3 or 4 bedroom house with a yard for that price then they won't mind.. you have no idea what kind of crappy 2-bedroom apartments they are used to for double and even triple that price.. nothing like these spacious Houston apartments with marble kitchens and bathrooms..

Anyway does anyone know specifically about the crime in that area ? Is it a bad or good area ?

It is annual. HOA fees are paid annually here, not monthly. About the highest you get in Katy is around $1100 a year (maybe more in some gated communities?).

If you are looking for properties in Houston, then you should be looking at har.com. Here is the page for the property you are looking at, notice the maintenance fee is listed as "annual".

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSea...4&backButton=Y

I would not live in that area. I suggest looking south of I-10 if you are looking in Katy or move further north into Cypress. There are some areas in N Katy that are okay to live in, but if you don't have someone advising you, then your safest bet is just to stick to south Katy or into Cypress. You can find some sub-$100k properties in south Katy, but they are going to be older properties. I believe you can find newer properties in Cypress for less money than in south Katy.

Last edited by cla; 12-30-2008 at 06:34 AM..

Old 12-30-2008, 06:40 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,308,023 times
Quote:
Wow.. this significantly changes my budget if HOA is yearly.. I guess I just assumed it was listed monthly like a condo.. I had been expecting $800 a month for the HOA on both my home and my in-laws home..

So if it says $450 or $200 for example that means yearly? If it's that low like $176 that's per year? Or could that possibly be per month?
lol, yes now you can afford more house! It is annual. A lot of the older communities have lower HOA fees ($176) because they don't have as many amenties as some of the newer communities, and are generally, subdivisions, rather than master planned communities (which have more common areas and medians that have to be maintained)

Well, actually, you need to think about property taxes. They are high out here. Up or down 3%, depending on where you live. (Homestead exemption is $35,000.) But then, there's no state income tax. I guess it all balances out.

Last edited by cla; 12-30-2008 at 07:15 AM..

Old 12-30-2008, 10:55 AM

Also I have heard of the MUD tax and someone said that could be more than county/school tax? This is all new to me so can someone explain the 3 to me?

Old 12-31-2008, 05:07 AM

4 posts, read 29,037 times
Be sure you look up the demographics of the area, crime, etc. Back in 1991 when I moved to Katy, the realtor advised me against moving north of I-10, it turned out for good reason. We have only recently seen the problem of gang tagging of fences and utility buildings south of the freeway. It has been a problem north of the freeway since 1991. You can figure out the root of the problem yourself. The retail outlets north of the freeway like Walmart and Home Depot etc are filthy. Things only went farther down hill since Hurricane Katrina. Another minus is the dearth of trees in a lot of the subdivisions north of the freeway. Summer up there is like sitting in a frying pan. Remember the whole area was once rice fields and the developers didn't spring for landscaping.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:50 AM

Yes but there is a difference between tagging and actual crime.. how is the area as far as break-ins and violent crime..

Old 12-31-2008, 11:46 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Yes but there is a difference between tagging and actual crime.. .
Yes, one of the areas I lived in Austin (which was not considered a bad area at all - it was actually a bit pricey) was tagged frequently. Nothing really violent ever happened though. The graffiti was bad enough at that time in Austin (not sure if it still is these days) that it was a frequent news story.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:00 PM

Yeah same here where I live in Cali.. in California there is tagging everywhere.. but at least where I live it's a very safe neighborhood with a GREAT police department. It's mostly just bored kids making things up. We even had some graffiti on the inside of my apt. building (that family moved out thank goodness - just some stupid 17 year old kid that kept coming over to ask my husband for beer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston