Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 02:37 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I've posted in this forum several times in the past and this may be somewhat of a longwinded post but I'm reaching the desperation stages and need as much info as I can get before It's too late.

I've been working for my familes construction company here in Nashville as a manager/driver for the past 7 or so years. Due to the economic situation, We've had to file bankruptcy on the family business and I've been unemployed now for two months.

I've been looking for work, anything really ( even went so far as to apply to places like McDonalds and Burger King ) Nothing is hiring. There is no promise of anything hiring and people continue to relocate here at will and continue to take all of the jobs ( Ironic, I know )

Anyways, My wife and I have been talking about relocating to Houston for a long time but were always waiting for the time to be right. We're both in college and she wants to finish the Spring semester before she relocates which is sometime around May.

We have alot of bills and not enough money to cover all of the bills so I have a more urgent sense for moving, looking at like the end of January but most likley the middle of February. I can't have auto reposessions and things of that sort because I have to have my truck and we need our phones, ect, ect.

I've been thinking of relocating by myself and letting my wife and son stay in Nashville so that she can finish her classes, I was wondering if anyone knew of any extended stay hotels in the Houston area or any areas near Houston ? If so, what do the weekly rates look like ?

I've been hearing that Houston has an excellent economy right now, How would I fare coming down there trying to get a job ? I'm willing to work at McDonalds if it means paying the bills.

Are jobs readily availible ?

I need some real honest opinions, I'm fixing to have to make a MAJOR decision...

Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 08:07 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,147 times
This is a town full of motivated people. If you are gung ho and ready to get out there and work you should do ok. There is a need for construction due to Ike. It is always a plus to hire someone in construction who speaks english. I dont know about rates on extended stay places.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:43 AM

Thank you for your reply.

Is there generally alot of jobs availible in Houston ? I mean, it's one thing to look at online listings but it's another to hear from locals that know for sure.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:06 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times
Less than a few months ago due to the falling energy prices but its not completely dead.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:24 AM

Would Dallas, Austin, or San Antonio have more/better job opportunities ?

Old 12-30-2008, 10:15 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
Ryan, check Craigslist under Housing > Apts, Rooms and Sublets. You might find something where you can get into Houston for a month or two to check things out. An opportunity to bang on doors. There are extended stay hotels. If a chain has an extended stay you'll find it in Houston.

Once here, get a cheap cell phone for local contact. There are jobs to be had in Houston and other Texas cities. Houston is always in a growth mode. You can drive a truck, somebody is buying furniture. If you still have one of those company trucks then bring it with you.

Once you've determined whether or not you can make the move permanent the wife will be ready to join in. There's more going on in Houston/Dallas/Austin/San Antonio to drive economies than there is in Tennessee.

Like westres1 says... "This is a town full of motivated people".

Good luck, and welcome to Texas.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:24 AM

5 posts, read 13,793 times
I originally moved to Austin and ended up moving to Houston for a better fit for myself. Just PLEASE don't dig a deeper hole for yourself by moving out of desperation.

Have either of you considered some of the work at home call centers (liveops, west, convergys, cloud10)? That may help provide some income and flexibility. Cloud10 and convergys offers near full time hours, pay isn't great but is atleast something to help right now. During college I worked for a few of them myself.

As for Houston, the job market is tougher than it was a few months ago. It totally depends on the field you are looking at. Office tech companies (copier/computer, ricoh, oce, dahill are hiring) are doing ok, healthcare is doing very well (several friend of mine work within). My advice, go to careerbuilder put out lots of resumes and do some calling. I work in the computer field and haven't felt a crunch at all.

As far as hotels, I visit expedia or priceline.com for good deals. I highly recommend staying closer into the beltway and avoid the burbs', you'll save time and gas.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:37 AM

Thanks for the replies, This is all great advice.

My wife is a Pharmacy Tech and actually works for some company ( forget the name ) but they are based out of Houston so we're hopeful that she'll be able to transfer her job.

I'm actually getting kind of excited about a relocation. I grew up in Florida but we moved alot and I've been in Tennessee now for about a decade and feel the urge to relocate again. My wife is from Louisiana and we've been down to Houston several times together ( she's been more than I have ) We really like the area even though it really just seems like any other southern city...

Can anyone tell me if the average electric bill is really around $400/mo. ? I have a feeling that's going to break us because we're used to paying $120/mo...

Old 12-30-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
ToS, Do not post in your thread ("bumping" it) just to have it appear on the top of the forum.
So, Just so I'm clear... If I start a topic and it gets no replies and goes to the 2nd page, Do I just need to keep starting new ones until it gets replies ?

Old 12-30-2008, 10:59 AM

5 posts, read 13,793 times
Depends on how much you use the a/c and the age of your house/apt. I shopped around and chose Stream Energy and pay about 140 a month for 1200 kwh (I think it is 14.5 cents/hr). I recently moved in closer to the tollway and 290 (townhome) so I expect that the bill will lower some more. If you are looking for an apt or townhome I used FindIt locators and they gave me a free list and I found a great, safe townhome that I love (not to mention saves me 1hr a day on the commute).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston