Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 03:14 PM

4 posts, read 7,787 times

Advertisements

I'm heading to a job in Sugar Land and wondering where to live. I'm a single male, 29 years old and enjoy nightlife. I've lived in Arlington, VA for the past year or so and dealt with the DC traffic. I have done half hour commutes to work in the past and didnt mind them. I was wondering if there is a decent singles scene in Sugar Land or would I be better off reverse commuting from downtown/midtown. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 03:33 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Sugar Land seems rather geared toward families to me, but maybe I just notice all the family stuff because I'm a mom. I'll be curious to see if anyone single and without children thinks Sugar Land is a fun to live. I'm betting people will advise you to live closer in and reverse commute.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:01 PM

247 posts, read 737,576 times
I live in Sugar Land and it feels more family oriented than anything else. If you don't want to reverse commute I think the best bet for a single person would be the City Plaza at Town Square Luxury Condominiums. They are in the middle of a pedestrian oriented commercial development in Sugar Land that has some fun restaurants, shopping and a good crowd. That being said if it were me and I were looking for singles night life I would do the reverse commute. Montrose, Upper Kirby, Down Town and Midtown all have good energy and definitely more to offer a single person than Sugar Land does. I don't think the drive is bad either. I head toward the inner loop at least twice a week for a dose of the city.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:04 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
- Sugar Land is mostly a family area. However, there are some lofts in the Sugar Land Town Square that I doubt have lots of families.

- You'd probably like living somewhere like Montrose, Midtown, Galleria area, even around Westchase (the part inside the Beltway and north of Richmond Ave) and doing a reverse commute, which would probably be around 30 minutes depending on the area.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:05 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JtownGreg View Post
I'm heading to a job in Sugar Land and wondering where to live. I'm a single male, 29 years old and enjoy nightlife. I've lived in Arlington, VA for the past year or so and dealt with the DC traffic. I have done half hour commutes to work in the past and didnt mind them. I was wondering if there is a decent singles scene in Sugar Land or would I be better off reverse commuting from downtown/midtown. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
I would try and find an apartment somewhere inside loop 610, known as the Loop in Houston, along 59S. 59S will most likely become the bulk of your commute from Sugarland into Houston. Streets like Kirby, Buffalo Speedway, Shepard, etc. intersect 59S and streets like Westheimer and Richmond run somewhat parallel to 59S. Google map Kirby @ 59S Houston, TX and just look for where you want to live around that area. It is centrally located to all the things to do in inner Houston, such as bars, clubs, restaurants, museums, etc. Kirby and 59S is roughly 15 miles from Sugarland and would be a relatively good reverse commute.

Last edited by dv1033; 12-29-2008 at 05:13 PM..

Old 12-29-2008, 05:35 PM

530 posts, read 2,036,976 times
Do you plan to go out partying and drinking at bars/clubs every single night? If not, then why make yourself a long commute home from work? Why not live NEAR work and "commute" to the bars/clubs late at night when there's NO TRAFFIC. The reverse commute idea seems dumb to me unless you just fall in love wth the other areas. Sugar Land is a sweet location. Check out a rental house in the old Imperial Sugar mill area. Neat early/mid-20century houses, many of them small 1 or 2 bedroom units, perfect for a single man who wants an office and/or spare room.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
Why not live NEAR work and "commute" to the bars/clubs late at night when there's NO TRAFFIC. The reverse commute idea seems dumb to me unless you just fall in love wth the other areas.
Maybe he doesn't want to drink and drive and die young.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:40 PM

4 posts, read 7,787 times
Thanks for the input. ZeroTX, I'll have to check into what you said, and Topaz pretty much hit it right on the head. What is the cab scene like if I were to stay in Sugar and just head into the city a couple nights a week.?

Old 12-30-2008, 10:35 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
Reverse commute. Absolutely, positively. Unless you plan on hanging out almost exclusively with married couples with kids. Not that there is anything wrong with married couples with kids, but when you are 29 and single, and new in town, I don't think that is going to be your niche.

The people you will most likely make friends with and want to socialize with will be in town. You will find it is easier to reverse commute to work than it will be to commute to everything else.

Sugarland is nice, but it is not a match for a twenty-something moving to a new city and wanting to meet new people.

Move in town.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Reverse commute. Absolutely, positively. Unless you plan on hanging out almost exclusively with married couples with kids. Not that there is anything wrong with married couples with kids, but when you are 29 and single, and new in town, I don't think that is going to be your niche.
In general, I agree with modster, although I did notice last night that there is a Yahoo! group for Sugar Land singles and it has 200+ members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston