Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 06:33 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times

Advertisements

A lot of it depends upon what you want. If you just want a town house for lower maintenance, that is one thing. Otherwise you may want to consider your single family home options also.

The other thing is do you want to live in town or are the suburbs okay?

Typically if you go farther out you will find that you get a newer house and/or larger for the same money. It also depends on what you can spend. If you are looking at $40 - $50,000 properties, then condos may be the way to go.

What was it that drew you to the Grove Ridge property in the first place? did you find it or did your Realtor pick it out for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 06:53 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
Im not implying that it is the worst place on earth at all, im just simply stating that it in my personal opinion is "undesireable". Im not everyone though. I would deffinately put it in the bottom 1/4 of areas in the Houston Metro.
It is definitely NOT for everybody. To appreciate it takes a tolerance for transitional neighborhoods that show both the quality & style of their good years along with bearing the scars of their years out of favor. It takes a tolerance for the good areas right next to bad that is so prevalent in Houston's close in areas. Having a mix of a location only about 10 minutes from the city center, being right on the loop to get around to wherever, having some actual topography and great old trees, interesting architecture, and some fun neighbors, all puts it a little higher on the bell curve for me. But then again I'm odd, I like funky old neighborhoods.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:02 PM

4 posts, read 7,247 times
As a single female who moved to Glenbrook Valley in 2001, I find it safe to live and shop in the area. But I concur with modster on the issue with Leonora and the apartments there. That would give me concern. But I'm not familiar with those specific townhomes, their price, size, and the security they may provide to the property.

Have you considered renting in Houston first? I think that is helpful when moving to a new city. That way you can explore and have time to find the area that fits your needs best for traffic, shopping, social interests, etc.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:13 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
I would definitely heed the advice of those in the area, particularly if they are advising you of issues with Leonora Street. If price range is the issue, they have some apartment style condos in the Clear Lake area - Baywind and Taylor something or other (they are side-by-side to one another). But bear in mind that they look like normal apartments and not like townhomes. You might find that style condo in a nicer area of town for a similar price as the townhome you mentioned in your original post. Just stay away from Southwest Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston