Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 07:11 AM

2 posts, read 11,396 times

Advertisements

My hubby will be attending the University of Houston law school in the fall. I'd like to buy a home near the law school, in a good, safe, kid-friendly neighborhood. My budget is limited - around $120K.
I've never been to Houston, and I have no idea where to even start or even if we can find anything decent in our price range.
He's willing to commute, and I will be working downtown. We have 2 little ones - 4 and 2.
Can anyone help me get started - please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 07:16 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
You should try to rent a townhouse in a nice, easy commute Houston neighborhood to start.

120 is going to put you smack dab right in the middle of sub-prime failing neighborhoods. Not to mention, pretty far out.

The only other choice is a mixed neighborhood close in, in a small bungelow built in the 30s or 40s.

Check out HAR.COM for both purchase and leasing options. But seriously, with small children, I would consider a townhouse near a park, in a safe area. Your husband won't be in school forever.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:28 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
You should try to rent a townhouse in a nice, easy commute Houston neighborhood to start.

120 is going to put you smack dab right in the middle of sub-prime failing neighborhoods. Not to mention, pretty far out.

The only other choice is a mixed neighborhood close in, in a small bungelow built in the 30s or 40s.

Check out HAR.COM for both purchase and leasing options. But seriously, with small children, I would consider a townhouse near a park, in a safe area. Your husband won't be in school forever.
I think this is excellent advice. Right now is probably not the best time to drop anchor in a $120K house. Law school is not an enormous time investment, you may want to just plan on renting until your husband completes his studies.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:20 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,147 times
Rent a small home in Garden Oaks,Timbergrove, Oak Forest area. We lived in Garden Oaks while my husband attended UofH law School and our kids were toddlers. It was the best!
And Law School IS an enormous time investment if you want to make the grades.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:33 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
Rent a small home in Garden Oaks,Timbergrove, Oak Forest area. We lived in Garden Oaks while my husband attended UofH law School and our kids were toddlers. It was the best!
And Law School IS an enormous time investment if you want to make the grades.
That's not what I meant. I completely agree that law school is really synonomous with "hopelessly busy". I meant that even a part time law student will not spend more than about 3 1/2 years completing the JD.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:47 PM

469 posts, read 1,485,136 times
I am a real estate agent and I agree with alot of what has been said in this thread. The only way I would suggest that you purchase a home in Houston now is if you plan without a doubt to stay at least a couple of years after your husband graduates.

The only thing that I disagree with that has been said is that you will not have very many good options in your price range other than in subprime fall out zones. You can find good options in safe areas as long as your husband does not mind 30-40 minute commute times.

If you want help finding a place let me know I have no problem assiting with rental locations as well as home purchases.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:00 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
That is probably the best advice, to rent in one of those areas for awhile.

$120,000 will get you in a transitional neighborhood where you have to have some urban pioneering spirit, a short commutes, some good appreciation potential and bad schools, or a tract-home subdivision farther out with long commutes, little or no appreciation, and great schools.

One alternative if you just flat don't want to rent, but would involve commuting. If you are willing to put in some "sweat equity" into a house, go to one of the nicer older established neighborhoods in a good school district like Klein. Often times people have no vision or imagination on the 70's era houses. the "dogs" can get overlooked. With some luck and careful shopping you might find something that shows terribly and just needs a reasonable level of work and updates, and get into a good, stable subdivision instead of the newer tract home ones.

This one may need too much, but just a quick scan on HAR-

17110 Spring Creek Forest Dr, Spring, TX 77379

Old 01-06-2009, 01:29 PM

469 posts, read 1,485,136 times
modster makes some good points here. But, again I truely think you would be better served renting if you will not be here more than 3 or 4 years. It will take 3 years for you to pay the selling expenses and that is assuming normal appreciation.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:45 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
That is probably the best advice, to rent in one of those areas for awhile.

$120,000 will get you in a transitional neighborhood where you have to have some urban pioneering spirit, a short commutes, some good appreciation potential and bad schools, or a tract-home subdivision farther out with long commutes, little or no appreciation, and great schools.

One alternative if you just flat don't want to rent, but would involve commuting. If you are willing to put in some "sweat equity" into a house, go to one of the nicer older established neighborhoods in a good school district like Klein. Often times people have no vision or imagination on the 70's era houses. the "dogs" can get overlooked. With some luck and careful shopping you might find something that shows terribly and just needs a reasonable level of work and updates, and get into a good, stable subdivision instead of the newer tract home ones.

This one may need too much, but just a quick scan on HAR-

17110 Spring Creek Forest Dr, Spring, TX 77379
Ew that home is horrible.. If you are going to look that far out, check out Copperfield in the zip code of 77095, specifically Southcreek subdivision.. they have MUCH nicer homes in your price range and most were built in the late 80s/early 90s .. you can find something very nice there and it's very family friendly.. very low crime.. I grew up there and my parents still live there.. my dad is very paranoid about .. well everything.. but he feels very safe there.. it's a place where you can still leave your door unlocked and your garage door open during the day.. when we visited and my dad did not close the garage door right away my husband (from los angeles) kept asking me "Shouldn't we close it???" we just laughed and said.. not here!

The commute would be a pain but if you really want the house, this is the area I would reccomend.. I'm looking around this area too but in the newer subdivisions and in parts of Katy (check those out too - a bit further south so slightly closer to UofH) I know the drive will be LOONG but I'm used to long commutes out here in L.A. and what I will not compromise on is wanting a big house with space and a YARD.. I miss having a yard.. .. it all depends on what you decide is best for your family..

This home is just gorgeous.. it's only blocks from my parent's home so I can tell you firsthand this neighorhood is very very nice
http://search.har.com/engine/dispSea...8&backButton=Y

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSea...7&backButton=Y

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSea...3&backButton=Y

I've been doing alot of research and I think this is really one of the best neighborhoods in your price range where you can actually get the most house.. there are some very nice and brand new homes in parts of Katy but there is alot of debate about how safe those neighborhoods are..

Last edited by Tasksgirl; 01-06-2009 at 01:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston