Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you wait behind the line or in the intersection while waiting to turn left (while the light is gr
I wait behind the line, of course! 34 24.29%
I wait out in the intersection, duh! 97 69.29%
I never really thought about it. 9 6.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:33 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,416,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
If you wait out in the intersection, I'm sorry but I HATE YOU. YOU are the reason accidents and holdups are caused.

Sincerely, Responsible Person with a spotless driving record
OK, your comment makes no sense. The act of being in an intersection while the light is green isn't the issue, the driver's reaction time and judgement is the issue. If a person is out in the intersection, they intend to turn. Whether they turn when the light is green, or are forced (legally) to turn when the light is turning red shouldn't impact anyone else's ability to go about their business.

Oh, and having a spotless driving record doesn't make you a good driver . it just means you drive at or below the speed limit, or have never been caught speeding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 12:34 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,092,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
If you wait out in the intersection, I'm sorry but I HATE YOU. YOU are the reason accidents and holdups are caused.

Sincerely, Responsible Person with a spotless driving record
there should be a ticket for Road Hate

Old 01-06-2009, 12:52 PM
cla

898 posts, read 3,294,198 times
My biggest driving pet peeve is people who don't move out of the left lane to left faster traffic move ahead. Maybe some people are just unaware of the law, are just aren't paying attention (which is the number one cause of accidents) but I know some refuse to move out of way in order to police the traffic. This causes more accidents. And I am sure we have all been in a "convoy", when two cars on a 4-lane highway are driving neck and neck - not a car in front of them.

And here is the chapter in the Texas transportation code pertaining to driving in the right lane and passing on the left...

TRANSPORTATION CODEÂ*Â* CHAPTER 545. OPERATION AND MOVEMENT OF VEHICLES (http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/TN/content/htm/tn.007.00.000545.00.htm - broken link)

Old 01-06-2009, 01:21 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,249,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
OK, your comment makes no sense. The act of being in an intersection while the light is green isn't the issue, the driver's reaction time and judgement is the issue. If a person is out in the intersection, they intend to turn. Whether they turn when the light is green, or are forced (legally) to turn when the light is turning red shouldn't impact anyone else's ability to go about their business.
My comment makes perfect sense for two reasons: 1) the light is red for a reason...it means you cannot go 2) you know that big white line? you're not supposed to cross it.

I'm pretty sure waiting out in the intersection is illegal in Texas (still researching it) and if it is illegal, it is for a reason and if you do it YOU ARE WRONG. No way around it.

Quote:
Oh, and having a spotless driving record doesn't make you a good driver . it just means you drive at or below the speed limit, or have never been caught speeding.
You're right...but in MY CASE, it DOES mean that I am an excellent driver, it DOES mean that I drive the speed limit, and NO I don't speed.

I take responsible driving very seriously and I am very proud of my skills, so if you're someone who does speed and breaks numerous other laws on the road, you and I have nothing further to discuss.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
there should be a ticket for Road Hate
Well road hate/rage isn't something I'm guilty of. If people want to be idiots, I let them. I just ignore it and keep driving.

I'm not the type who will try to catch up to the person who just cut them off so I can look into their window and show them I'm angry at them...

...but I am the type of person who likes to point and laugh at someone who just got pulled over by the cops.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cla View Post
My biggest driving pet peeve is people who don't move out of the left lane to left faster traffic move ahead. Maybe some people are just unaware of the law, are just aren't paying attention (which is the number one cause of accidents) but I know some refuse to move out of way in order to police the traffic. This causes more accidents. And I am sure we have all been in a "convoy", when two cars on a 4-lane highway are driving neck and neck - not a car in front of them.

And here is the chapter in the Texas transportation code pertaining to driving in the right lane and passing on the left...

TRANSPORTATION CODEÂ*Â* CHAPTER 545. OPERATION AND MOVEMENT OF VEHICLES (http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/TN/content/htm/tn.007.00.000545.00.htm - broken link)
Now, I agree with you here

Old 01-06-2009, 02:33 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,320,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
Whether they turn when the light is green, or are forced (legally) to turn when the light is turning red

I'm not sure that's legal....? I always thought if you found yourself in the middle of an intersection and the green light goes red, you were basically breaking the law....hence the waiting. Green does not always mean "go" when it comes to making a left turn. Green simply means "Yield to traffic". A red light in that instance, I'm fairly certain, means "Stop" just like it does in any other situation.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I'm not sure that's legal....? I always thought if you found yourself in the middle of an intersection and the green light goes red, you were basically breaking the law....hence the waiting. Green does not always mean "go" when it comes to making a left turn. Green simply means "Yield to traffic". A red light in that instance, I'm fairly certain, means "Stop" just like it does in any other situation.
Exactly.

People are trying to make it work in their favor. They drift out into the intersection, so that they have no other choice but to turn. That's cheating. The next green light at the intersection is now going to have to wait for that person to get their ass outta the way.

In my opinion, if you are past the white line when the light turns red, you have just ran a light.

If you know the light is green and there's no protected turn (<--) so you're having to yield to traffic in the opposite direction, but you KNOW you have enough time to beat the light then it should be okay. But don't drive out there when there's dozens of cars coming and you know you aren't gonna make it.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:07 PM

509 posts, read 1,162,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
that probably gives oncoming traffic a sign that i'm serious about making this turn
Yes, now they know you are serious.

After doing some more research, it looks like in most states it is legal to proceed out of the intersection after the light has changed, provided you are "inside" the intersection before it turns red. There is some grey area here though; I saw some caveats, such as if the other side of the road is blocked up with traffic through the intersection, you are supposed to hang back and wait so as to not cause more congestion. I guess it's one of those common sense things.

Thanks for all the replies, people.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:10 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,633,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepossum View Post
Yes, now they know you are serious.

After doing some more research, it looks like in most states it is legal to proceed out of the intersection after the light has changed, provided you are "inside" the intersection before it turns red. There is some grey area here though; I saw some caveats, such as if the other side of the road is blocked up with traffic through the intersection, you are supposed to hang back and wait so as to not cause more congestion. I guess it's one of those common sense things.

Thanks for all the replies, people.
Some caveats come in the form of the SUV's and pickup trucks barreling towards you if you don't hurry up and move it so they can go as soon as their light so much as hints at a shade of green they can live with!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston