Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,285 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to relocate to Houston from NYC area. My husband is an Architect, and will be looking for work either at an architectural firm or a developer's firm. We have a 2 year old girl. I have been hearing really good things about Katy and Cypress, but since we have never been to Houston, I am feeling a bit lost. Our main priority is to live in a safe area, with very low crime, hopefully if at all possible, crime free, with excellent schools. As far as prices we would like to spend under 200K (150K-200K). Is that possble in a nice area? Are there nice homes in safe neighborhoods in both Katy and Cypress for that amount of money? also, what is the job market like in Houston? I appreciate all comments and suggestions.

Thanks,
Barbara Jean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 12:05 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,440,324 times
My architect friends are hunkering down right now. The firms have been hit pretty hard and layoffs are happening. Not sure this is the time to be moving without having a job lined up already unless you have substantial savings to set up a home and ride out the job hunt.

My two cents.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:52 PM

5 posts, read 12,589 times
We live in a nice town 42 miles out of katty and went from making 6200 a month down to 1400 a month we are locing at moveing west, texas has been hit hard by the economy our savings is gone in 41/2 month our electric this month is 868 dollars and they wont work with you here ,,, we have never been disconnected and they will only give an extra week to pay bill in full we moved here from anahiem california and have kids it is a safe place as long as your not in houston,dallas,fort worth big cities are like cali that is why we chose a place on the out scerts

Old 06-29-2009, 02:42 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,219,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaraarnold124 View Post
My husband and I are planning to relocate to Houston from NYC area. My husband is an Architect, and will be looking for work either at an architectural firm or a developer's firm. We have a 2 year old girl. I have been hearing really good things about Katy and Cypress, but since we have never been to Houston, I am feeling a bit lost. Our main priority is to live in a safe area, with very low crime, hopefully if at all possible, crime free, with excellent schools. As far as prices we would like to spend under 200K (150K-200K). Is that possble in a nice area? Are there nice homes in safe neighborhoods in both Katy and Cypress for that amount of money? also, what is the job market like in Houston? I appreciate all comments and suggestions.

Thanks,
Barbara Jean
Houston is a great place, but all is not well here in Texas. Do not make the move unless you have a job already lined up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: