Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 09:04 PM

33 posts, read 143,529 times

Advertisements

hello! i have a question about magnet schools. i like a couple of schools i have read about (at least they sound good on paper- er- screen). so i am wondering- if you live near a school like th rogers. do you get to go there automatically because it is your "neighborhood school" or do you have to apply and be accepted? then what if your kids are not accepted to the school closest to them, would they have to be bused to another school? or do they have classes for the magnet school and then other classes for the neighborhood kids? i'm not even sure if my questions make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 09:36 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
th Rogers is strictly a magnet. you must be accepted. If not you would most likely be zoned for Briargrove. Other schools require you to be zoned but if you qualify you can be in the vanguard or IB programs which keeps you separate from the general pop of the school.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:06 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,326 times
above poster is correct: TH Rogers is an exception in that it has no neighborhood component; it's 100% magnet. Other schools take neighborhood (zoned) kids plus a certain number of magnet kids. Most of the time, if you are zoned to a school, they have to take you. BUT, if you moved there late in the summer, and hadn't registered in time, and all the spots were full, it's conceivable that you could get placed in a different school instead. I don't think it happens too often from what I've heard.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:48 AM

does vanguard mean gifted/talented? of course i think my kids are smart, but i wouldn't go that far and say they are gifted! ha ha. so i wouldn't count on them getting into a GT program. what about kolter? if we buy a house that is in the district to go to kolter, do they still have to be accepted or is that where they would go? do they still get to participate in the language (magnet) program? the other area we are looking at is west u place. if we buy a house near there can i assume they would go there?

Old 12-30-2008, 07:59 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
If you are in West U proper you would go to West U but the other side of Holcombe goes to Twain which also a good school. You really need to download the zoning maps from HISD and apply to these programs. I think the deadline is approaching and if you want in any IB,vanguard,magnet you need to get that ap in and get your kid tested.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:18 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
If you are in West U proper you would go to West U but the other side of Holcombe goes to Twain which also a good school. You really need to download the zoning maps from HISD and apply to these programs. I think the deadline is approaching and if you want in any IB,vanguard,magnet you need to get that ap in and get your kid tested.
Not too far away you also have Roberts, another good school. Both it and Twain are IB schools, among the first three in the state of Texas in fact, with Roberts being a fine arts magnet and Twain --surprise!-- a magnet for literature. Both schools also accept neighborhood students.

I'm pretty sure all kids participate in the magnet program, whether magnet or neighborhood students, but don't quote me on that.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:12 PM

do you know where i can find the zoning maps for the schools in hisd? sorry to ask so many questions!!

Old 12-30-2008, 03:15 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boudicca2 View Post
does vanguard mean gifted/talented? of course i think my kids are smart, but i wouldn't go that far and say they are gifted! ha ha. so i wouldn't count on them getting into a GT program. what about kolter? if we buy a house that is in the district to go to kolter, do they still have to be accepted or is that where they would go? do they still get to participate in the language (magnet) program? the other area we are looking at is west u place. if we buy a house near there can i assume they would go there?
Vanguard is gifted/talented. I think all schools are supposed to have GT, but some schools are particularly magnet schools for GT, and are called Vanguard. They've been tweaking this program lately so there may be details of that I'm missing. Definitely get your kids tested. Even if you didn't go to a Vanguard magnet, at whatever school you go to, if they are identified as GT they will probably have access to some specialized teaching.

If you buy in a house districted to Kolter, you should get in, but you must officially enroll, as soon as possible after you close on the property. Just to be sure you get a spot. I'm pretty sure that at Kolter everyone takes part in the language program, not just magnet kids.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:54 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boudicca2 View Post
do you know where i can find the zoning maps for the schools in hisd? sorry to ask so many questions!!
HISD Connect - Schools

You'll want to stick with the Central and West regions when considering schools, and even then you have to be careful, as some schools you'll want to avoid.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 4,442 times
Default relocating to houston midyear with a junior in hs

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
[URL="http://www.houstonisd.org/HISDConnectDS/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=924c2f796138c010VgnVCM10000052 147fa6RCRD"]HISD Connect - Schools[/URL]

You'll want to stick with the Central and West regions when considering schools, and even then you have to be careful, as some schools you'll want to avoid.
Which schools should we avoid? No reasons necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston