Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 11:19 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportBorn View Post
Thanks!

I heard that part of U of H's campus is in the ghetto, (central or something like that)

Can anyone clarify?

Thanks again for the help!

If you mean UH downtown (UHD campus), then yes. That little area can be pretty junky. That is a separate campus vs. the U of H (main campus - 3rd ward) that people in here are describing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 09:25 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
I work at UH Main campus and there are areas surrounding it where I just drive straight on through because those areas don't look very good to me. I am unsure what the actual crime statistics are, though.

It feels safe on campus but I am there during the day.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:16 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
I didn't attend UH, but many of my friends did. Most of them lived alone or with roommates in duplexes, garage apartments, and small complexes in the Montrose, Museum District, and nearby areas. A couple lived Uptown. And so went their social life. If you attend UH this is the best area to live in as a student, especially if you want the easy access to bars, clubs, restaurants, and coffeehouses, and want to be able to go to shows often and spontaneously. You're surrounded by a lot of culture and stuff to do, and you're within a five-to-ten minute drive to UH. Getting involved in organizations on campus helps immensely as well.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:17 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
always been a lil rough probably more so now.
a U of H graduate. but its no longer about which school
its about dodging those monster student loans.
consider grants or a jr college low cost no debt VE program my favorite is RN.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:55 PM

125 posts, read 440,518 times
Is there a pretty good nightlife is Houston?

I enjoy music and the like

Old 01-10-2009, 12:58 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportBorn View Post
Is there a pretty good nightlife is Houston?

I enjoy music and the like
Check out Rice Village and Midtown. Lots of great nightlife in that area.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:24 PM

5 posts, read 10,103 times
Hows the galleria area? Is it to far from UH

Old 01-10-2009, 09:48 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CENTENNIALSTANG View Post
Hows the galleria area? Is it to far from UH
Not too far at all. You can get there in about 20 minutes.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:37 PM

1,006 posts, read 735,201 times
As a UH engineering student I can say that the school has some really cool research going on a planned. Only reason I'm leaving is because of a job opportunity in Atlanta. I will be transferring to Georgia Tech. I love Houston and I was able to get a job in IT at Southwestern Exploration and Production my freshman year. I've been there since and the pay is very good. I don't think school rank is so much of the matter anymore as someone stated. As long as you do well and gain some experience to pad your resume than I say UH all day. Go Cougars. Not to mention jobs are plentiful down here. I'm not particularly fond of the nightlife. I'm a night owl and would really enjoy and all night bookstore but I dont see that around here, maybe I'm not looking hard enough. I also enjoy dance/house music and the only spot I can go is once a month on Thursdays at the Meridian.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:57 PM

687 posts, read 2,128,262 times
My husband and I, and all of our siblings (total of 10) graduated from UH (in the 1980's). Eight of us have attained graduate degrees. We have successful careers in medicine, law, engineering, and business (entrepreneurs). Our education at UH prepared us well. My professors at UH were very good, and caring. The current president seems very dynamic, and has a strong vision. A significant part of educational success has to do with the student -- motivated, focused students will do well, in many settings. Consider what you are bringing to the table. Make it a point to introduce yourself to your professors, follow-up when you don't understand, contribute to the discussions...

Good luck wherever you decide -- and you won't go wrong with UH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: