Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 10:39 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,602,083 times

Advertisements

AK123, read my post completely that is 3 posts above yours. All I am saying is that the people in the areas are mostly the reason for the decay because they do not care. They have that entitlement mentality. I am glad Sugarland is self governed and zoned, but that will not change the people once the migration continues into those communities. When people who do not care get about their surroundings, it is really hard to change their mentalities. That is why I think that sooner or later a decent portion of Sugarland will fall foe to the ghetto migration. It has already started.

Last edited by AmberAzeneth; 12-05-2010 at 10:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 11:01 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberazeneth View Post
AK123, read my post completely that is 3 posts above yours. All I am saying is that the people in the areas are mostly the reason for the decay because they do not care. They have that entitlement mentality.
As far as suburbs, that could happen in an area with a high number of rental homes, which often follows a high number of foreclosures and/or an area where the public schools are not good (so property values are lower.) Or, an area where there are such a high number of apartments, that after a local economic downtown the apartments turn low-income or greatly reduce rents and requirements (see Sharpstown, Greenspoint, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberazeneth View Post
I am glad Sugarland is self governed and zoned, but that will not change the people once the migration continues into those communities. When people who do not care get about their surroundings, it is really hard to change their mentalities. That is why I think that sooner or later a decent portion of Sugarland will fall foe to the ghetto migration. It has already started.
I don't know what you're talking about. These people "who do not care" usually fall into a particular socio-economic category. Often these are renters or a transient population. Above I stated the factors for a rental community. I have seen nothing of what you are talking about in Sugar Land proper.

BTW, I'm a market research analyst for a living, so I don't just pull these things out of the air.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:06 AM

221 posts, read 611,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybac248 View Post
If the kids must be working at the expense of academics, at the expense of dropping out of even high school, we are in for a big decline in this country. This is what 3rd world country kids do. To have their kids working, to the point of dropping out of school, is extrodinarily short sighted on the part of their parents. These kids may be earning minimum wages or may be $7/hr at most, while if they stay in school, go to college, one day they will be making $35-$70/hr. That's when they can break the cycle of proverty, raise a family in decent surroundings and contritube to the tax base in their community and to the federal government. Education for these kids at this age is crucial, that's why the federal government mandated public education to all of its citizens at considerable expenses of the taxpayers decades ago. While it is harmless for kids to have a job on the side, dropping out is going very far. While I sympathize with families in financial distress, doing this is pure stupidity bordering on lack of self respect.
You sir are incredibly ignorant.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:12 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
I'm not trying to be offensive, but honest. Is the city ever going to beautify, improve, and rebuild places such Little York, North Houston, etc. because those places are very ugly and very country/rural looking?

Old 12-05-2010, 03:47 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I'm not trying to be offensive, but honest. Is the city ever going to beautify, improve, and rebuild places such Little York, North Houston, etc. because those places are very ugly and very country/rural looking?
Have you been there to see for yourself? It's not as bad as you're making it out to be.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:49 PM

Dang, just asking!

Old 12-05-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Dang, just asking!
All I said was have you been there for yourself and that it is not as bad as what you're making it out to be. Hate seeing claims made by people like that when they have never been there before.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:03 PM

All I did was asked a question. There are some people that complain about the area's ugliness. I just asked has the city ever thought about improving such areas. That's all and you had to go there.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
All I did was asked a question. There are some people that complain about the area's ugliness. I just asked has the city ever thought about improving such areas. That's all and you had to go there.
All I did was say it isn't as bad as you're making it out to be, and you came back with "dang, just asking!", sounding all offended that I asked if you've been there. You're saying it like you've been there and you're a Houston expert. Have you even seen pictures of areas along Little York Road? Not all of it are ugly. In fact, some pretty nice areas.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:14 PM

In fact I have seen pictures. I had some family that lived in those areas, and they took pictures of it. They showed them to me, and I was like "I'll never move to Houston." As time passed and a chance to research Houston, I found out that the majority of doesn't look like this area. So far on pictures, that area is the ugliest area in Houston that I've seen.

Will someone answer my question instead trying to worry have I ever been to Houston before? THANKS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston