Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 02:09 AM

27 posts, read 98,264 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Is it possible to work in the Woodlands but live inner city. My husband and I are contemplating a move to Houston but it may involve him working in the Woodlands. However I despise the suburbs so living there is not really an option. What would the commute be like?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 05:19 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
Easy commute, you're going against traffic both ways

Old 01-13-2009, 05:24 AM

So how long are we talking? 30-40 minutes? If one of us was working in Sugarland and one was working in Woodlands, where would be a good in between location? I am not familiar with Houston at all, so I am not sure if they are opposite sides of downtown...

thanks!!!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:01 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
40 minutes to the Woodlands and about 25-30 minutes to Sugarland in reverse traffic and no wrecks, depending on where you live. I can't recommend and area unless I have a price point to consider. And if schools are important. Inside the Beltway and Loop, it's all about the price when it comes to recommendations.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:14 AM

Thanks. Schools are not important. We are two young professionals who like to be in busy areas with lots of restaurants, cafes etc but also places to go running. Does that help?? Thanks!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:27 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Rice Village area, Upper Kirby or Uptown.

I assume you just want to rent or lease. Single Family homes in those areas are highly costly.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:29 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,698 times
HAHA reverse commuter! lol... it might seem that your going against traffic and it would be breeze to get on the highway... but there are people that are just like your husband and there tends to be a bit of a jam around 5pm on both sides of the freeway.

If you like cafe's and the urban feel; get ready to spend a huge amount because there are a very limited amount of clean areas that provide that kind of amenities.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:31 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
Memorial Park or the trails along Allen Parkway and Memorial Drive are the most popular running spots. Anywhere central would be good for what you want to do. Since your Husband works north, I would recommend the more northerly parts of the inner-city, places like Heights and its surrounding neighborhoods, (Norhill, Woodland Heights, old sixth ward, etc.) I would also consider Garden Oaks. For a townhome the Washington Avenue corridor would be good. Rice-Military, Brunner, those areas in there.

The only thing about the Heights is restaurants and retail is somewhat weak. This is changing as Washington Avenue becomes more of a hot spot and places have been opening up there like mad. There are a lot of places south of Buffalo Bayou in the Montrose area, and over in midtown, but I think you would do better to position yourself a little north.

If you want the loft concept, they are available downtown.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:31 AM

Yes we would be renting. We would get a rental allowance so cost is not a huge issue, plus we only want a 2-bedroom apartment. We don't need a house. Rice Village sounds nice. I have seen photos and it looks very green...

Old 01-13-2009, 07:49 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,698 times
Woodlands and Sugar Land are on complete other sides of Houston, to get from one location to the other, it would take you an hour an a half. But if your looking for an area that is exactly in the middle you should consider Bellaire. about 20 mins. to SugarLand, and Woodlands is about 40 mins.

But it is a great community full of condo's and nice apartments, however the amenities your looking for wouldn't be right at your doorstep, you would have to drive to get to the "urban" areas, but this is Houston, people spend a quarter of their day in their cars so its nothing out of the ordinary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston