Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:24 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,176 times

Advertisements

I am also a landlord. I initially got in the business because I needed some tax shelters since i was maxed out on everything else.

It is rewarding at the same time tough....I do a lot of the repairs myself, since I hate being lied to. Plus I can try out new tools that I purchase. I usually put an ad in the chronicle and also have a For Rent sign in the yard. I do not take section 8, and I do do a full background check and credit check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 09:33 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times
Full background check is bull****! I am my landlord's BEST and LONGEST renter who never missed a payment or had trouble with the law or stole my roomates stuff! I have a felony because a past employer spied on me after work and made me paranoid thinking I was being spied upon so I punched a guy at McDonalds thinking he was a spy and I got my felony for that. Yeah, and I roomate I had had a clean record and glossed me over that his mom was a Whole Foods Executuve. And then he stole over $1000 of my stuff! AFter I put locks on my stuff he started stealing / eating my food!

I suggest you don't discriminate against all felons, and rather take them case by case. Even graffitti or not paying for gas is a felon! - You think that's such a serious crime to discriminate against?

Old 01-14-2009, 09:45 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,831,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Full background check is bull****! I am my landlord's BEST and LONGEST renter who never missed a payment or had trouble with the law or stole my roomates stuff! I have a felony because a past employer spied on me after work and made me paranoid thinking I was being spied upon so I punched a guy at McDonalds thinking he was a spy and I got my felony for that. Yeah, and I roomate I had had a clean record and glossed me over that his mom was a Whole Foods Executuve. And then he stole over $1000 of my stuff! AFter I put locks on my stuff he started stealing / eating my food!

I suggest you don't discriminate against all felons, and rather take them case by case. Even graffitti or not paying for gas is a felon! - You think that's such a serious crime to discriminate against?
Landlords do not have the luxury of taking felons on a case by case basis unless they want to expose themselves to potential liability from Fair Housing claims. If you establish a policy, such as no felons, and you reject applicant A because he has one, and then accept applicant B because you are more understanding of him, say, punching a perfect stranger in a McDonald's. Then applicant "A" may have a discrimination claim against the landlord. Whatever application standards you establish, and as a landlord you should establish some, then you must be uniform in applying them to EVERYBODY. This is especially important if you have more than a handful or rental units or properties.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:06 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times
Arrow talk radio am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayreejayne View Post
Hi, this seems to be a very active forum and I see many posts that interest me. My main reason for joining now is to seek advice concerning my rental properties and I want to know if this is appropriate. Thanks.
I can't give you advice but I do know of a radio station in your area that have program host who can...

BizRadio - The Sound of Your Money Growing

11:10 am radio. These guys are awesome. I use to listen to them on my way to work in the mornings, but the ones that talk property investment, I think they air around early afternoons, noon to one. I think the most interesting subject I listened to they discussed entitlement property's pros and cons.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:40 AM

637 posts, read 3,236,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Landlords do not have the luxury of taking felons on a case by case basis unless they want to expose themselves to potential liability from Fair Housing claims. If you establish a policy, such as no felons, and you reject applicant A because he has one, and then accept applicant B because you are more understanding of him, say, punching a perfect stranger in a McDonald's. Then applicant "A" may have a discrimination claim against the landlord. Whatever application standards you establish, and as a landlord you should establish some, then you must be uniform in applying them to EVERYBODY. This is especially important if you have more than a handful or rental units or properties.

Exactly; this would certainly be the best way to keep from getting a lawsuit against you if you were a property manager, or a person with multiple properties for rent. Not to mention; as a whole, the background checks combined with checks for evictions, sex offenders and a credit report work very nicely, they alleviate 90% of the problems right up front.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:15 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayreejayne View Post
Topaz, I believe you are absolutely right. I've been poking along at this labor of love (my property) for 12 years and have been trying to attract artist types that I've personally (not professionally) identified with. A friend of mine, who is a realestate agent, thoughtfully refused me to hire her and told me to think beyond that concept by finding a target market who'd be the right fit. She said, get their names and addresses and send faxes to them. You are the second person recently to suggest the same idea, to advertise in a trade specific venue.
Perhaps this goes without saying, but having a web presence is important these days if you have something to sell. If I was a renter, I would be Googling addresses and key words ("Houston live work housing," Heights rental," etc.) to see what comes back. As a consumer, nothing is more frustrating than not finding specific details on the web. I'm totally not affiliated with this landlord, but I came across Medusa Properties website not too long ago, and was impressed. Details, floorplans, some personal stuff that just said to me "takes the time to get the best tenant." Or at least that is what the site said to me, LOL.

Don't make it fancy, or spend a lot of (deductible business expense) money, but get something out there that will show up in Google and Yahoo, and you will be one step closer to having to turn people away rather than going out to find them.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:28 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,176 times
whatever dude...
I choose to discriminate against anyone I want. Last time I checked My name is on the property as the owner and this is still the USA. If you do not fit my qualifications there are 1000's of others that will.

Quote:

Old 01-16-2009, 07:01 PM

497 posts, read 1,485,467 times
Quote:

You bet it is. You wouldn't want to hear what I think should be done to people who deface property and steal gas. It's isn't that I hate them, I can understand the small, stupid place they are coming from. I'm just sick of crime and what it does to everyone - including the criminals.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,307 times
That is so reassuring that some land lords take responsibilty for the safety of others! I rent a town home from a company that owns several properties in close proximity. I was appalled to find out they have allowed a high-risk sex offender move in to one of their properties. As soon as our lease is up my family and I are moving. If they can move him in two blocks away, they can move him in next door! I have a little girl to protect from sick and twisted people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icon7 View Post
whatever dude...
I choose to discriminate against anyone I want. Last time I checked My name is on the property as the owner and this is still the USA. If you do not fit my qualifications there are 1000's of others that will.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:25 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
My mother was a Houston landlord for many years. She was a real estate agent who felt bad for those homeowners who couldnt sell their houses when moving out of the city -- so she bought the houses for the listing prices. She ended up with dozens of homes in the southwest area (Bellaire, Sharpstown, Alief and further out) in the 1970's-1980's.

She had a heart of gold and often let tenants go six months to a year without paying rent if they were down on their luck. Or she'd give them jobs (repairing other houses or mowing, etc) to pay off the rent. She almost always got stiffed, as a result, but she never lost her faith and trust in people. Everytime I hear blanket criticisms of landlords in general, I think of how kind she was to all of her tenants and how many of them violated that trust and kindness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: