Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 03:41 PM

260 posts, read 904,341 times

Advertisements

We are driving in from Austin tomorrow and made a reservation at The Alden. I read lots of reviews on the hotel and one review caught my eye. This person said there are a lot of homeless people in that area.

We have to valet park with this hotel (they charge $25/day) and it appears the cars are parked in an unsecured parking lot.

My question is-- is this a rough area with a lot of crime?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 05:01 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
There is a lot of homeless people in the area but that is true for every downtown in a city this large. I don't hear much about there being a crime problem. They are more just an annoyance because they ask for money. I usually feel safe when I go downtown.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:41 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times
There may be a lot of homeless people in the area but that's all they are....homeless. Unless, you don't like seeing homeless people, it shouldn't bother you.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Newby View Post
We are driving in from Austin tomorrow and made a reservation at The Alden. I read lots of reviews on the hotel and one review caught my eye. This person said there are a lot of homeless people in that area.

We have to valet park with this hotel (they charge $25/day) and it appears the cars are parked in an unsecured parking lot.

My question is-- is this a rough area with a lot of crime?

TIA!
enjoy your stay

Old 01-16-2009, 07:26 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Just use some common sense .... I work downtown and a few years ago the homeless were homeless and you saw the same people every day and "sort of" got to know them. However, today myself and the majority of my co-workers (male and female) find many of the seemingly homeless to be scary. Many are mentally ill and others appear to be more criminally ill so you try and avoid them - they are much more aggressive and angry. That said, for the most part downtown is safe but you have to use common sense - don't be flinging around money, jewelry, purses -- keep that stuff close to you and private. That is the same as people should do in any public setting in a major-sized city. Have a good time.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:22 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,214 times
well since the city is not a popular tourist destination the cops dont give the homeless a hard time to send them on their way and out of sight so they look like a major issue but I do not think they are criminals. i could be wrong

Old 01-16-2009, 10:29 PM

404 posts, read 1,244,749 times
Default ...some could be

There's all kinds out there. My niece was stabbed in front of Lamar High School by a homeless person last year - broad daylight.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:27 AM

260 posts, read 904,341 times
Thanks for the info!!! Seeing homeless people doesn't bother me; I see them regularly in Austin. Someone had also mentioned a lot of bail bonding businesses in that area too and I just wanted to make sure we weren't staying in a really bad area.

The hotel has a driver (free) that we'll likely use to avoid getting ourselves lost. We don't plan on walking anywhere. Good to hear folks feel safe downtown.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:28 AM

50 posts, read 140,300 times
Would you go to New York City, Chicago or San Francisco and not get out and walk around to see all of the sights. Houston is no different. It is a very large city and probably has no more or less homeless than any other large city in this country. Don't let the homeless ruin your trip to the city. Get out and enjoy. The weather is supposed to warm up and will get better. Like someone else said earlier, just be aware of your surroundings and don't flash a bunch of expensive jewlery/cash around. Enjoy your trip to Houston.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanon View Post
There's all kinds out there. My niece was stabbed in front of Lamar High School by a homeless person last year - broad daylight.
I remember reading about that in the Chronicle. I hope she is doing ok now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: