Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 01:42 PM

10 posts, read 19,422 times

Advertisements

I am going to be relocating to houston. Right now i live in Center and its very country here and being that I am orginally from the Boston MA area its a lot different from what i'm used to so obviously i miss city life. My questions are since I have 3 young children where would be the best place to live in houston. now I realize there is violence everywhere since I am from Boston what I want to know is where the least amount of violence is. I'd like to know what it is like to live in Houston and what there is to do. And if anyone has some pictures of anything other than downtown since I've seen a lot of pics of downtown online. So if anyone could just tell about Houston overall that would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 03:24 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
Houston is over 600 square miles. It really depends on where you will work unless you like spending hours in the car every day. Houston is not a violent city. Gangs mostly kill gang memebers and drug dealers kill each other but for the most part you will not encounter those people in your day to day life in Houston.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:48 PM

okay so my question is: where are these gangbangers situated and where would most of the warehousing and manufacturing jobs be, for the most part. also any info on good areas to live that are not gated comm.'s
also, any word on the baffalo bayou and magnolia park area would be nice cuz someone told me that it is okay but i am thinking ...how okaaaay? lol

Old 01-24-2009, 04:59 PM

wow i'm getting no reply love! lol i would really like to now more about the city and the good places to live that are not gated communities, considering i have 3 children who are 5 and under and a dog.
i would also like know where are the manufacturing and warehouse jobs are and if anyone has any info on magnolia park or buffalo bayou thanks

Old 01-24-2009, 06:06 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,680,004 times
How much are you looking to spend? Buying or renting?

Old 01-24-2009, 07:30 PM

we are gonna be renting

Old 01-24-2009, 07:34 PM

please dont send me to the .....GHETTO. lol i seen that the sw and ne parts are rough but i feel as though its not htown as a whole thats ghetto or crime ridd'n there has got to be places that are good as far as working,blue collar with a family safety "feature" lol
i hope

Old 01-24-2009, 07:36 PM

3 posts, read 11,357 times
Hi there,
I moved to Houston about 2 years ago from Minnesota. We love it here! We don't have kids but we do have dogs. I would recommend that you rent first, because Houston is so big. Until you know where you are going to be working for sure, I would wait to buy a house. All of the areas are good and I have not ever run into crime or have ever felt afraid of anything other than the highways. I drive all over the city and have been in many housing areas and I lived Downtown too. A good website to go to is [URL="http://www.har.com"]www.har.com[/URL] you can find homes to rent or buy there and there is map info as well. The people here are so nice and friendly. I think you will really like it her. Good Luck! Magnolia is a beautiful area, it's more country living with tall trees. Katy is nice and new. Sugarland, Missouri City all great places to live. Seriously, anywhere you go, I think you will like and feel at home.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:39 PM

thank you thats nice to know. i had the impression that there was a lot of crime there. i'm happy to hear otherwise. could you tell what there is thats good to do there? and are there a lot of jobs? and by any chance would you know what galveston beach is like?

Old 01-24-2009, 07:49 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,680,004 times
The Magnolia KMen refers to is not the same place as Magnolia Park. Magnolia Park is an East End neighborhood in the City of Houston.

You haven't mentioned your price range. To help you people need to know how much you want to spend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston