Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 03:26 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Feebs, have you not seen the rats running down the phone wires at dusk? <shiver>

Got that right. Every multiple-unit complex my wife and I have ever lived in... those that had central dumpsters/compactors... had mice/rats. They always came out after everyone was asleep, 2-3am. In addition to scaling telephone poles, they can also scale the walls of the buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 10:58 PM

448 posts, read 1,588,169 times
Who would you guys recommend. A local company or a big company such as Orkin and Terminix. Does anyone have the big companies??

I am looking to get for pest and termite control

Old 03-15-2008, 07:30 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
I've always used Long Point Pest Control. They are biggish, but don't require those crazy contracts like Orkin and Terminix. You have a personal relationship with your bug man and they are more open to crawling around the olders homes and understand them better.

Jflores, forgive, I can't remember what part of town you are, so I may be recommending a company that is out of area.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:27 AM

14 posts, read 66,625 times
This might sound like a really stupid question - but I would like to know the answer.

People have mentioned mosquitos breeding in water - do back yard swimming pools have this problem?

Thanks - I will be moving to the Houston area in August and I would like a pool!!

Old 03-15-2008, 09:40 AM

190 posts, read 575,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK-Trinity View Post
This might sound like a really stupid question - but I would like to know the answer.

People have mentioned mosquitos breeding in water - do back yard swimming pools have this problem?

Thanks - I will be moving to the Houston area in August and I would like a pool!!
Mosquitoes love stagnant water to breed in. Think of poor draining ditches, puddles, ponds, buckets left outside to collect water and aren't disturbed for a while, etc. Pools have filters that constantly run the water, so it's never still enough for the mosquitoes to bother with, not to mention their aversion to the chemicals in the pools.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:19 PM

136 posts, read 894,136 times
I lived in the Woodlands for 7 years. At the first house we had a company spray quarterly and had regular visits from cockroach. The second house we had no bug control and I saw one cockroach in 4 years! I say move in and if you have a bug problem call a company.

I also only saw 1 rat in my garage in 7 years and I'm pretty sure he followed me in when I opened the door.

Would recommend a termite inspection in older houses. There's a saying in Texas - you either have termites or you're gonna get termites!!

Old 03-16-2008, 07:40 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Default The tubes work great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie View Post
We just bought a home with "the tubes" already built in and I wondered if anyone has recommendations on a company that provides pest control via this method? If so, do you sign a contract, or can you pay for each time. And how often?
We bought a home in Richmond that has the tube pest control system. When we moved in we had a real problem with ants everywhere. After the system was charged, I was sweeping up dead critters for another 2 weeks and haven't seen an ant or even a spider in the house since. We use a company called Home Team and are very happy with the system and the service. We did sign a quarterly agreement for a term of 1 year and pay around $80.00 per quarter for them to charge the system and spray the exterior foundation. It works great and there is no smell from the pesticide used (that was something I was really worried about)

Old 08-13-2008, 03:16 PM

166 posts, read 682,705 times
We use Home Team Pest Defense and are not happy with them what so ever. They use to be so good but they are now saying they don't spray the perimeter of your home UNLESS you pay extra. We are on a look out for a new pest company. Any recommendations?

Old 08-13-2008, 03:21 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelady View Post
We use Home Team Pest Defense and are not happy with them what so ever. They use to be so good but they are now saying they don't spray the perimeter of your home UNLESS you pay extra. We are on a look out for a new pest company. Any recommendations?
Do you also have the "in-wall system"? I haven't had any problem with them and they always spray the foundation when they come out. I looked at my contract and its included in the base price. Is it something they just changed?

Old 08-13-2008, 04:04 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,588 times
I have the same Home team in the wall pest control system in my home too. I have yet to call them in because I am worried about them possibly overloading the house with chemicals. I usually just spray around the perimeter, in the crevices, garage, and the entry points. i highly recommend Bengal Roach spray (the more expense bottle). I had an issue with these Monster roaches under the kitchen sink, try other stuff no luck. 1 application of Bengal, the next morning there were like 15 dead roaches in the kitchen. that was 4 years ago. Never seen a roach in the house since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston