Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 12:22 PM

166 posts, read 899,365 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what the average cost differential is between getting a tile roof instead of the conventional asphalt shingle roof... I love the way those tile roofs look on those custom Mediterranean style homes. I imagine they are not cheap but supposedly they last a lifetime. CAn a tile roof be put on without have to redo the framing of the roof if it had conventional shingles? Anyone have any experience with tile roofs and know who installs them at a ballpark figure for a 4,400 sq ft. two story home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 12:35 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
1. Check w/ your HOA if you have one. Most have a set standard for the neighborhood. If you don't see any in your neighborhood they may not allow them.

2. Tile roofs weigh a LOT more than the average composition shingles. The extra weight needs to be allowed for in the construction of the house. Being this house is as large as it is........... I would not try it w/o knowing for a fact the construction could support it. Otherwise, I don't see any feasible way to do it without tearing the house down and starting over practically. That is if you want it done right.

3. If you have hail in your area or strong winds from tropical storms or hurricanes........... tile roofs blow off just as easy as composition shingles and can be broken by hail.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:50 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
I have a tile roof. And we love it. Two well known roofers in the area who do tile are: Brinkman and Tile Roofs of Texas. Brinkman did our initial install, but was very slow to respond after Ike. Tile Roofs of Texas came out in a timely manner and repaired the damage.
I have never heard of hail doing damage to tile roofs...Or least, we have never had a problem.
During Ike we had 2 tiles from our house roof blow off...those around us with asphalt shingles had much more damage, to the tune of replacing entire roofs. Tile vs asphalt did much better in our neighborhood!
Our biggest damage to our boat house was because our boat literally went thru the roof in the high water surge.
Cost to replace the damage was $3000 and they wanted $7000 to re-do the whole roof. Sorry, have no idea what the initial cost of the house roof was as it was a new home.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:31 PM

201 posts, read 914,803 times
We're in the process of building a 4000+ square foot house, and our builder's charge to upgrade to tile is $35,000 (we decided to pass). Shelbygirl - $7K to redo an entire roof sounds pretty cheap by comparison.

As mentioned above, you will also have to add structural bracing in your attic to hold the extra weight.

Another consideration is that your house may settle after the tile roof is installed, due to the weight, leading to cracks in the wall. My builder told me that he waits a few weeks to sheetrock after installing a tile roof because of the potential for cracks. Don't know whether that's true or not, but something to consider.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:07 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtk View Post
We're in the process of building a 4000+ square foot house, and our builder's charge to upgrade to tile is $35,000 (we decided to pass). Shelbygirl - $7K to redo an entire roof sounds pretty cheap by comparison.

As mentioned above, you will also have to add structural bracing in your attic to hold the extra weight.

Another consideration is that your house may settle after the tile roof is installed, due to the weight, leading to cracks in the wall. My builder told me that he waits a few weeks to sheetrock after installing a tile roof because of the potential for cracks. Don't know whether that's true or not, but something to consider.
Remember...this was a boat house roof...maybe 30 x15? Not the house roof.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:08 PM

551 posts, read 2,726,008 times
Not sure about Texas, but all new houses in Phoenix, AZ have tile roofs. They usually come with a 30 year warranty (not lifetime). Of course, Phoenix doesn't have hurricanes, so there are almost no issues with tiles (other than the heat island effect).

Also, they do put the tiles on before finishing the walls beyond the primary frame/studs, so there might be some truth/wisdom to waiting a week or two before finishing the walls...

Old 01-29-2009, 03:45 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,832,525 times
I would be very, very wary of changing to a tile roof for the very reasons the other posters mentioned. Besides cost, the weight could totally screw up the house. I would certainly talk to a structural engineer before I did it.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:49 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,213,847 times
You might consider a metal roof as an alternate. I've seen a few of those metal shingle roofs going on (you can pick the color) and they are sweet looking.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:47 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,025,375 times
To much up front cost and you won't get it back when you sell. And here in El Paso there's tons of them here. Granted it's not hurricane windy here but in the summer it can get really windy.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 18,206 times
we have a monier tile roof (lifetime warranty) we sustained damage from hurricane Ike and are looking at replacing the tile roof with a steelrock metal roof, the house was built in 1981 and the building codes were different then where a roof decking was not required, now it is required in Houston and we are fighting with the insurance co over this, has anyone else experienced this problem and how did you get thru it ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston