Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 05:32 PM

809 posts, read 3,568,757 times

Advertisements

The OP didn't ask this, but I'm curious - Does anyone know if it's possible to rent a car or lease one for a 6 month period without paying a high daily rate??

Hope you enjoy Houston!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 08:00 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,220 times
to the OP ..I cant believe that was a serious question.

My god are you going to need a car. Life would be impossible unless you live and work right next door (which is quite possible in houston) even if your work is only a block away; it gets so hot that you would literally melt before you make it back.

Last edited by EEstudent; 02-02-2009 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-02-2009, 08:23 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTx View Post
The OP didn't ask this, but I'm curious - Does anyone know if it's possible to rent a car or lease one for a 6 month period without paying a high daily rate??

Hope you enjoy Houston!!

The OP's company might be able to assist with this one. If not, Hertz and Enterprise do long-term rentals.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:34 AM

439 posts, read 1,241,950 times
I wouldn't waste money on a car if you're only going to be here six months. Taking the bus is inconvenient, but not the end of the world. Just try to live as close to work as possible. Your social life will be limited though. If you're looking to travel around the city and go out on weekends maybe you can get a cheap used car or make friends fast.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:26 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,864,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaesnae View Post
Hello,
I'm a French student about to move to Houston for a 6 month internship; and everyone I've spoken to so far tells me I will need a car...all the more that I will have to live near my work area (south west of Memorial Park, on Post oak Blvd) Is it really necessary? aren't buses enough to go round the city?
I'm from Europe too. You can not compare the public transportation system here with Europe. So listen to them and try to get a car You WILL need it.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:29 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,864,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
to the OP ..I cant believe that was a serious question.

My god are you going to need a car. Life would be impossible unless you live and work right next door (which is quite possible in houston) even if your work is only a block away; it gets so hot that you would literally melt before you make it back.
This is a very rude response! Apparently you have never been to Europe. As I already said, there is a HUGE difference. Why would he know this if he has not been here before?

Last edited by XodoX; 02-02-2009 at 12:39 PM..

Old 02-02-2009, 12:35 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,564,067 times
6 months stay? Learn bus routes and rent cars. Check for rental cars thru:
Enterprise leasing or Budget or Avis Rent a Car. You MUST have an international driver's license or an American driver's license, of course.
If you rent for a month at a time or more, I am SURE you could cut a deal with one of the Enterprise auto leasing places (they will have many). Call more than one and find out what kind of deal you can get.
I used to rent cars when mine was being repaired all the time. They will even drive to your house, pick you up and take you to their office, and you will leave with a car then.
Smartest move in Houston is to live and study and work all in a tight area, so you could walk or bus it.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:53 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,563 times
well thats not very smart at all, in houston. I feel sorry for these people waiting for buses even in areas like Rice village. concrete seating at bustops with no roofs, no thanks.
my problem free and very useful van (especially for people moving their stuff around) is only $3k @ 8yo. thats not too bad as 6months operating expenses. its definitely way way better than nothing. regular cars are even cheaper.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:41 AM

3 posts, read 6,123 times
Hello! Thanks for all of your advice, it is helping me alot! Do you have an idea of how much it would cost me to buy a used car (not too crappy coz If I have a car I might travel a bit around, and also because I'm no good in mecanics!)? Do you think $2500 will be enough? I've also been told I needed a Texan driver's licence (not only the international drivers licence)if I stay over 3 months... do you know anything about this too? My job will not help me in any way, so I'm on my own for the car!

Old 02-03-2009, 10:28 AM

809 posts, read 3,568,757 times
Enterprise does long-term rentals. Why don't you see what it would cost to rent one for 6 months? There is a button on this link to email them.

Long Term Car Rental - Enterprise Rent-A-Car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: