Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2009, 10:19 PM

132 posts, read 587,967 times

Advertisements

Auto Repair ? Channel 2 finds Meineke is the answer

Local 2 Investigates Houston-Area Mechanics - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston (http://www.click2houston.com/news/18606468/detail.html - broken link)

I do not know much about cars/repair and just follow what the mechanic says..Should I go Meineke all the time ? Let the car experts of the forum chime in.

Last edited by Houston456; 02-01-2009 at 10:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 10:41 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,444,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston456 View Post
Auto Repair ? Channel 2 finds Meineke is the answer

Local 2 Investigates Houston-Area Mechanics - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston (http://www.click2houston.com/news/18606468/detail.html - broken link)

I do not know much about cars/repair and just follow what the mechanic says..Should I go Meineke all the time ? Let the car experts of the fourm chime in.
I saw the report, the ratings are more applicable to the particular mechanic. You could goto the same Meineke and get a different mechanic who missed the worn pitman arm. The national chain shops like that always end up with such a wide range of mechanics. Best thing to do is ask around and find a goto mechanic. Find a place where you can get the same 1 or 2 guys/girls to work on your car rather than whoever happens to be working there that week. Then take the responsibility to educate yourself on what they are doing. A good mechanic will always take the time to explain what they are doing, show you what is wrong, and answer all of your questions.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:12 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
I saw the report, the ratings are more applicable to the particular mechanic. You could goto the same Meineke and get a different mechanic who missed the worn pitman arm. The national chain shops like that always end up with such a wide range of mechanics. Best thing to do is ask around and find a goto mechanic. Find a place where you can get the same 1 or 2 guys/girls to work on your car rather than whoever happens to be working there that week. Then take the responsibility to educate yourself on what they are doing. A good mechanic will always take the time to explain what they are doing, show you what is wrong, and answer all of your questions.
I agree. I went to a Meineke shop and the idiots there screwed my car up so bad it cost 1500 to get it working again. They should know better than to mix types of radiator fluid among other issues.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:52 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
I agree. I went to a Meineke shop and the idiots there screwed my car up so bad it cost 1500 to get it working again. They should know better than to mix types of radiator fluid among other issues.

It's pitiful, but this happens all too often.

I have an old project car that will take almost anything you put in it and run fine. But these newer cars are designed/built with strict specifications and special materials. Manufacturers now use their own brand of fluids that have no true equivalent found at chain shops or Auto Zone.

My Dodge uses Mopar-specific transmission fluid and coolant. The transmission fluid is a full synthetic. The patent has just been released so you can get it at Wal-Mart now. The coolant is long-life orange, but not the same orange as GM's orange Dexcool. It is found nowhere else but the dealer AFAIK.

A lot of shops sell these 'multivehicle' fluids that will supposedly work with everything. The fact is these fluids can cause catastrophic seal failure and metallurgical reactions, among other problems. A lot of times when this happens, the owner blames Ford/GM/Chrysler for their lack of attention.

There's nothing wrong with using a Meineke or Jiffy Lube if you trust the employees' work. But owners need to do thorough research if you're looking to save a buck, away from the dealer. There may be instances in which you will need to provide your own fluids.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:31 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,214 times
how broke can your car be to go to these places?

in defense of mechanics out there (I dont like many of them), diagnosing car problems isnt that easy especially if you dont drive the car for many days and the problem didnt come out when you were driving it. its not like an aching tooth ya know when you can point the problem to the one going to work on it.

The mechanics working at the dealership is absolutely the worst you can find. I have experience with BMW and Audi, theyre only real advantage is theyre not allowed to drink alcohol to start their day.
BTW I use regular off the shelf fluid for them. even replacement parts are OEM equivalents only (whenever possible)

some people out there are destined to be taken advantaged of, bring your game face. if you dont have a new car, then suck it up especially of you want little annoyances fixed. stop using your cellphone and hold on the steering wheel with two hands. alignment solved

Old 02-02-2009, 02:23 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
It's pitiful, but this happens all too often.

I A lot of shops sell these 'multivehicle' fluids that will supposedly work with everything. The fact is these fluids can cause catastrophic seal failure and metallurgical reactions, among other problems. A lot of times when this happens, the owner blames Ford/GM/Chrysler for their lack of attention.
Exactly, the mixture (Dexcool + green stuff) clotted up and caused a seal failure. Of course, I did not know they added this fluid to my car. It was not within the scope of work they were hired to do, so I did not check it. They had a few other small screw ups that I did catch. I know how to do all the basic work on my car, I just do not have the tools necessary for everything and had to go to a mechanic. I know better than to mix the fluids like that. Unfortunately by the time the catastrophe occurred, I could not prove that they were the ones who wrecked the engine. I know they did it because I am the only person who worked on the car (oil change etc.) after that.

BTW, I only went to Meineke that time because I had just moved across town and could not take the car to my regular mechanic and stil get to work.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:04 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,310,589 times
Do not go to Firestone in Stafford/MO City off Texas Parkway and Scalin they did the same thing on my alignment and didnt even align it right "I want to go slap one of those guys" ( just playing)

Old 02-02-2009, 06:41 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Another thing, when your cars starts pulling to one side the first thing most people think is it's the alignment. There are many things that could cause this, particularly the tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: