Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 09:25 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,288,426 times

Advertisements

Also, as a former teacher ....some of these posts are downright ridiculous! It is not so much the time on the job but the quality. From a teacher who worked in the inner city I can tell you it is one the hardest and most challenging jobs. 70 grand is for teachers with a Masters and many,many years on the job. Most teachers do not make it over 10 years due to the circumstances of the job. Rowdy kids,working conditions in most of the schools (we had two bathrooms for the 40plus staff or you could use the kids that had the half walls and no doors), parents complaining or ignoring your requests for meetings,pressure to get high scores from kids who dont want to learn, the list goes on and on!

Old 02-03-2009, 01:11 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,968 times
OP is too funny. I am a pacifist; why am I paying taxes that are supporting a war? My neighbor makes more trash than me each week. Why do my taxes subsidize his trash pickup? The list goes on and on. Cry me a river.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:30 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiDaryl View Post
I'm sterile. My husband is sterile. We have zero plans to adopt.
Why am I paying school taxes so that a teacher who is doing his or her job can make 30% above the average wage of living? Why am I paying such HUGE ISD taxes so that schools that are considered palaces can be out there?

I keep my mouth shut about the issue usually... but the "design" of some of these schools here lately... mixed with the whole bonus fiasco from a few weeks ago has got me HOPPING mad...

A high school doesn't need a fountain or moat...

And well, people with children get a tax CREDIT on their income tax. I do not. So they get some sort of benefit for procreation and being a breeder... I do not... Yet I still have to pay for their 8 million dollar sidewalks, fountains, marble/tile floors... glass skylights...

There's definitely something not fair about the situation.. has this issue ever been pushed beyond just conversation?

Consider it an investment in your future. With no kids of your own, these students you're so generously putting through school will be the ones changing your diaper and making sure your bedsores are kept to a minimum when you're 80.

Not only that, the better the school, the better real estate decision down the line for you. Did you not know you had to pay school taxes where you live? Did you not have any idea of the extent before you signed that house contract?

Think about it.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:04 PM

36 posts, read 115,841 times
Moderator cut: personal attack You have no idea about teachers whatsoever. I only get paid from 7:45- 3:45, yet every morning I am required to be at work by 7:30, and then I am basically required to stay after until 4:30 everyday, so I am working 45 minutes than I what I am getting paid to do. I am technically scheduled for a 30 minute lunch, but by the time I get the student through the line I am down to 15. I do get a 45 minutes period where the students are at Pe or Art, but during that 45 minutes I am required to meet with parents, administrators, and other teachers. I do not have any time during the day to grade papers or create lesson plans, and so outside of the hours I'm getting paid, I work about 2-3 hours every night at home. On top of this I have to make sure students are learning and parents are happy. It is required that I take grades on two assignments per subject every week (it not voluntary! it is required!) So I am grading around 300 assignments a week outside of work hours. And who do you think makes the copies? Me, on the weekends when I go up to work. Do you work the weekends? Are you making any type of an impactin the world? Are you at job where you only get a 1-2% raise every year no matter what, or that if you get your masters you get to make only $1000 a year extra? Or if you look at a kid the wrong way a parent can sue you and take away your career. I am not complaining, I love my job. I hate people Moderator cut: personal attack who think teaching is a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Of those 7.5 hours actual time, 45-50 minutes are lunch, another 45-50 minutes (depending on length of classes in that school) are for a study period. Now your down to way under 6 hours actual work time. Teachers very rarely are actually on the job for 8 hours.

Now look at other trades/professions. Our actual time served is 8.5 or 9 hours a day depending on lunch breaks. So we all actually work 8 full hours.

And there is no law dictating Teachers must give homework. If they do and they have to work extra time to grade it then that seems to me as totally voluntary. So none of us want to hear any complaining.

Last edited by houstoner; 02-04-2009 at 05:00 AM.. Reason: personal attacks

Old 02-03-2009, 05:25 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,968 times
Good for you, Nessen. I also hate it when people disrespect teachers. Three cheers.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:23 PM

70 posts, read 430,568 times
Well said Nessen... my thoughts exactly.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:03 PM

67 posts, read 266,882 times
This is a hilarious argument. We as a nation have one the worst literacy rates among first world countries and someone wants to cut out education taxes?

Yeah, lowering funding for schools and teachers is what we really need to do.

Next time, look at the tax records for the house you're building or buying. I hear schools offer tax classes, maybe you should put your tax dollars to use.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:08 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Why are we even trying to have an intelligent conversation with someone who calls parents "breeders" and children "crotch dumplings?" No one does that unless they are trolling for controversy.

And I'd like to see someone who has said she makes adult Web sites for a living try to do what teachers do for one full week.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:14 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
And I'd like to see someone who has said she makes adult Web sites for a living try to do what teachers do for one full week.

Hey I thought it was 1-976 services?

Old 02-03-2009, 07:21 PM

447 posts, read 1,765,885 times
Another thing about teachers- most of the stuff in their rooms- books, paper, crayons, learning aids, are all paid for by THE TEACHER. I left nursing briefly (two years) to teach elementary special ed...my husband called it my 'expensive hobby'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: