Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 11:38 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,604,435 times

Advertisements

If TB is such a big threat then why no vaccination against it here in the US ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 11:41 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,487,875 times
They do have one, but it's selctively used for those who can't take the antibiotics and have been exposed to someone with it. It also only works on certain strains. The problem is with all the people coming over here that don't seek healthcare, and aren't tested for it coming from a third world country, it's hard to know if you've been exposed.

Here's a link on the vaccine and TB in general
Tuberculosis Vaccine : Vaccine Education Center - Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (http://www.chop.edu/consumer/jsp/division/generic.jsp?id=75735 - broken link)

Old 02-05-2009, 11:48 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,604,435 times
In England everyone is vaccinated at around 14 .

BCG Vaccination
(BCG Jab, Injection, Inoculation)
BCG vaccination, (also called a jab, injection or immunisation) has been shown to give 70%-80% protection against TB (Tuberculosis). The vaccine is given in a single dose following a ‘negative’ mantoux test.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:38 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,680,004 times
Please get back on-topic. The OP isn't looking for personal opinions on vaccinating or for anyone to try to change her mind about it. She is looking for recommendations. More than likely she has done the research and made the best decision for her family. Your mileage may vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly1234 View Post
Does anyone know a good pedi in the woodlands, or spring, that is either against vaccines till the childer is older, or at least is okay with the parents being against it and wont keep trying to change your mind??
Thank you!!

Old 02-06-2009, 07:27 AM

421 posts, read 1,726,413 times
I 2nd Mothering.com as I visit the site frequently. I believe in delayed/selective/no vax so I understand your search. I was lucky and found a pediatrician before we moved here who is respective of my rights as a parent. If you are willing to drive to the West U area message me and I will give you his information.

He is a great doctor with a small practice. He calls back promptly and spends time with patients. My son has always had good doctors, but not one who spent over 30 minutes just talking to us at a sick appointment. At times he runs behind schedule, but I can't complain because I know that when I see him, it is worth the wait.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:05 PM

6 posts, read 25,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Please get back on-topic. The OP isn't looking for personal opinions on vaccinating or for anyone to try to change her mind about it. She is looking for recommendations. More than likely she has done the research and made the best decision for her family. Your mileage may vary.
Houstoner, I wanted to thank you for your comment. Yes, I have obviously done my research on this as it is not a decision to take lightly. I feel there is overwhealming evidence of most, not all, vaccines not being safe. I could go on and on about why I feel this way, but that is not the reason for the post. For my family, it is the right decision to, at the very least, delay them, and rule out some of them all together. I realize that most doctors will not agree with this, as they are part of a "network" that wouldn't "allow it" for lack of a better term. I am looking for someone that will respect my rights as a parent to make that decision and to not try change my mind at every appointment.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:07 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,815 times
Quote:
Does anyone know a good pedi in the woodlands, or spring, that is either against vaccines till the childer is older, or at least is okay with the parents being against it and wont keep trying to change your mind??
Thank you!!
I can't/won't name the specific doctor, but I had no problems with a pediatrician affiliated with and had priviledges at St Lukes in the Woodlands. We also dealt with other doctors in other subspecialties for my son associated with St Lukes.

Also, we applied for a philosophical exemption, got it notarized, and had no problems getting my son in pre-school, pre-K or elementary school. The only stipulation we were given is that if an outbreak occurred, my son would be unable to attend school during that time.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:10 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,487,875 times
yeah, St. Lukes would be the place to find doctors like this.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:59 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,401,094 times
Quote:
Houstoner, I wanted to thank you for your comment. Yes, I have obviously done my research on this as it is not a decision to take lightly. I feel there is overwhealming evidence of most, not all, vaccines not being safe. I could go on and on about why I feel this way, but that is not the reason for the post. For my family, it is the right decision to, at the very least, delay them, and rule out some of them all together. I realize that most doctors will not agree with this, as they are part of a "network" that wouldn't "allow it" for lack of a better term. I am looking for someone that will respect my rights as a parent to make that decision and to not try change my mind at every appointment.
When you post a question like you did, especially as a new member, I think you should be prepared for a variety of responses on the topic. To be perfectly honest, I think we were fairly non-judgmental toward you, as much as can be expected. We were certainly respectful. When you make blanket statements like "I feel there is overwhelming evidence" of vaccines not being safe and then not provide sources or otherwise, well, it's hard not to take a side on this very volatile issue. We have no idea whether you have done your research or not. We're merely trying to be somewhat objective, answer your questions, and help out. You've gotten some very good information so far and perhaps more people will be able to assist you.

Best of luck.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:10 AM

161 posts, read 474,241 times
I have not been around here for a while but wanted to comment on something which I think 'easily amused' said about TB vaccination. There seemed to be an implication that pure American citizens are being exposed to horrid bugs from pesky, filthy foreigners. It is distressing how prevalent that view is, and I just wondered where it comes from?

As a prospective 'immigrant' to the US, I had to undergo a fairly brutal procedure (including 'a check in your knickers just to make sure you really are a girl') and this procedure involved being immunized against several diseases of which my doctor said 'We haven't had this here in the UK for over forty years.'

Like every UK citizen I was vaccinated against TB at age 14 and like most, again at age 30.

Who are these frightful foreigners who are polluting ye fair Americans, prithee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston