Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 01:14 PM

16 posts, read 35,374 times

Advertisements

We cant even get an interview for my husband for a job.

How do you get an interview for a job when your out of state. He has applied for jobs that say they will relocate people, but the recruiter wont put his resume through unless we are already in Texas. (recruiter says the companies dont deal with out of state people)

Im at my wits end. Hubby has even said he would fly to Houston on our dime for an interview.

I dont understand what we are doing wrong.
My hubby has a very impressive resume, and hes talked to recruiters about jobs, but they all say If hes not living there, they wont put him through.

How do people relocate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 01:49 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyat6183 View Post
We cant even get an interview for my husband for a job.

How do you get an interview for a job when your out of state. He has applied for jobs that say they will relocate people, but the recruiter wont put his resume through unless we are already in Texas. (recruiter says the companies dont deal with out of state people)

Im at my wits end. Hubby has even said he would fly to Houston on our dime for an interview.

I dont understand what we are doing wrong.
My hubby has a very impressive resume, and hes talked to recruiters about jobs, but they all say If hes not living there, they wont put him through.

How do people relocate?
Call a headhunter.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:35 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,657 times
There is a thread on the Dallas forum dealing with this exact situation. You may get some good ideas from it. Here's the link (you'll have to copy and paste it):

//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...llas-area.html

Old 03-16-2007, 04:15 PM

257 posts, read 946,214 times
I am also looking for a job in Texas. Like you, I would fly from Colorado for an interview, so what should they care where I live. In order to not be edited out of the pile because of my address, I have put the address of a relative that lives in Texas on my resume, because afterall I would probably stay with that relative if I got the job until I found my own place. Got any relatives or friends in Texas? Put their address. Or get a mailbox at the UPS Store maybe.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:28 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,502 times
What field of work are you interested in? Are these high level positions he is looking into? ~K~

My husband is in HR and he had several interviews before we actually moved here. He was working with a couple of head hunter.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:26 AM

16 posts, read 35,374 times
Ive thought about the address thing. My whole family lives in Houston and surrounding areas. My husband wont let me put thier address on the resume, he says "Then they will want to know why i would want a job in Houston when Im already there." but, im still working on him.

My Husband is in the Food Service industry. Hes currently a Corporate Director overseeing muliple units through out virginia.
Its kinda hard to explain what he does. Hes in the Executive catagory.
hes in the High level range.

He spoke to one headhunter..who wanted $3500 to find him a job that she said would take 12 to 24 weeks to get him an interview. (not the job, just the interview)

One recruter he was speaking with, wont out his resume through until we relocate, even though the job offers full relocation. Told him to let him know when he moves then he would put it through. Now he wont return calls or emails from my husband.

I dont know, im at my wits end.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:14 AM

756 posts, read 1,882,718 times
Quote:
Ive thought about the address thing. My whole family lives in Houston and surrounding areas. My husband wont let me put thier address on the resume, he says "Then they will want to know why i would want a job in Houston when Im already there." but, im still working on him.

My Husband is in the Food Service industry. Hes currently a Corporate Director overseeing muliple units through out virginia.

He spoke to one headhunter..who wanted $3500 to find him a job that she said would take 12 to 24 weeks to get him an interview. (not the job, just the interview)

One recruter he was speaking with, wont out his resume through until we relocate, even though the job offers full relocation. Told him to let him know when he moves then he would put it through. Now he wont return calls or emails from my husband.

First, headhunters are paid by the companies they recruit for. They work on behalf of their client (hiring company), not you. They will want to place the most qualified person commanding the highest salary in order for their commission to be maximum. I can tell you $3500 is pretty much unheard of for a headhunter. I have a friend that got hired at $65K and HR accidentally forwarded him the invoice from the recruiting firm and they were billing the company $15K!!!!
Keep looking; more than half of Houston's workforce are not from here and I am currently working with many that have relocated and all interviewed in Houston before moving from out of state or country.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:23 AM

58 posts, read 204,509 times
Good luck...we ran into the same situation. Nobody would talk to him..we even said we would be willing to pay for our own relo..still nobody wanted to talk to him....I want to move back home so bad.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:42 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times
Quote:

Old 12-09-2008, 08:58 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Quote:
That wasn't a headhunter. That was a scam "career marketing" firm. Never pay anyone to help you find a job unless you are dealing with a career counselor that you pay by the hour. And then you are paying for advice and coaching, not for the job itself. Any time someone asks for money to help place you in a job, RUN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: