U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2009, 02:21 PM

35 posts, read 149,198 times

Advertisements

We are closing the house in 2 weeks, and have notice that 1 window in the kitchen is installed slightly below the kitchen countertop.
The wall on top of the window is wide open. The window opening/bottom frame is slightly below countertop, doesn't have window sill, and the size is shorter than the one in the model.
We will have the walk through the end of this week, and have brought up the issue with the contruction manager & the builder sales ppl. They said if we want to change it it's like opening the can of worm.
I'm upset with the fact that they don't recognize their own mistake, and surely I don't want to "damage" the house if I insist to change the window, but it just looks weird, the window sort of looks sinking, not to mention the extra effort to keep the area clean.
What should I do?
Any input/suggestion?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 02:32 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 7,845,365 times
its not a can of worms for you but for them. tell them to fix it or show you a blueprint showing thats where its supposed to be.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:13 PM

152 posts, read 514,696 times
insist that they fix it, or else you don't close.

And I'm sure no other potential buyer would be interested in a house with this kind of issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujuba View Post
We are closing the house in 2 weeks, and have notice that 1 window in the kitchen is installed slightly below the kitchen countertop.
The wall on top of the window is wide open. The window opening/bottom frame is slightly below countertop, doesn't have window sill, and the size is shorter than the one in the model.
We will have the walk through the end of this week, and have brought up the issue with the contruction manager & the builder sales ppl. They said if we want to change it it's like opening the can of worm.
I'm upset with the fact that they don't recognize their own mistake, and surely I don't want to "damage" the house if I insist to change the window, but it just looks weird, the window sort of looks sinking, not to mention the extra effort to keep the area clean.
What should I do?
Any input/suggestion?

Old 02-09-2009, 07:54 PM

2,480 posts, read 6,679,525 times
The house is technically "theirs" until you close. Therefore, it's still "their" problem. Once you close it becomes your problem. Insist that they fix the window.

We upgraded our carpet padding to the highest level when we built our house. We got it inspected, did our walk-through and closed. Then my husband decided to check the padding. He pulled up some carpet in one of the bedroom closets. It didn't look like what we had bought at the design center. He took a sample to 2 different reputable carpet stores, and they agreed with him. It took us going all the way to the VP of the builder to convince them that they installed the wrong padding in our 3,000sqft home. We were lucky because they came back, ripped up all the carpet and replaced the padding.

But carpet's fairly easy to deal with. Fixing your window is a major deal...and might even go against code and inspection. It's their job to fix their mistakes!! Keep on their butts about it!

Old 02-09-2009, 08:32 PM

26 posts, read 100,958 times
Dear Jujuba-
In this market, when there are almost no homes being bought or sold, YOU are in the driver's seat! If they don't offer to fix this immediately, walk away and you will be courted by hundreds of other sellers and builders just dying to get your business. One other point, if they're willing to be jerks about this issue, IN THIS MARKET, this does not bode well if other warranty-type issues crop up.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:35 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 7,845,365 times
I bet your house has bigger issues than this. sorry

Old 02-10-2009, 01:23 PM

35 posts, read 149,198 times
Just had a meeting with everybody involved, including the VP. They finally agree to fix the window, and replace it with the new one. They showed the blue print also, apparently, they got the wrong window on that one.

thanks everyone!

Old 02-27-2009, 11:15 AM

5,952 posts, read 14,312,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujuba View Post
Just had a meeting with everybody involved, including the VP. They finally agree to fix the window, and replace it with the new one. They showed the blue print also, apparently, they got the wrong window on that one.

thanks everyone!
Trust me, it was no mistake on their part, they knew it and were hoping you would not mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston