Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 10:58 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times

Advertisements

Can anyone personally recommend good auto glass repair company? Have a very small nick in my car's windshield and would like them to come out to the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 11:29 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Nearly all insurance companies will wave the deductable on winshield chips if you choose to repair rather then replace. That means they fix it for free. Geico fixed my car for free and Progressive fixed my motorhome for free.

They will even come right to your home to do it. It takes about 15 minutes. But a word of warning, there is no such thing as a 100% repair. You should expect 80 to 90% improvement depending on how much internal crush above the laminate which sandwiches the 2 layers of glass. The tech can warn you in advance before he even begins to what degree it can be fixed.

That being said, if it is right in front of your eyes then forget it. As good as the repair is you will see it and it will bother you. Strangely auto glass is cheaper in Texas then any other state. You can replace most windshields for $125 whereby other big cities you can expect $200 or more.

Another word to the unwise. An old used car dealer trick to hide these windshield chips is to use a razor blade and carefully scrape off some bird droppings from some car. They will carefully paste these bird droppings on the windshield chip so they can sell the car without anyone noticing. When you purchase it and get it home and wash it, well its too late. You bought it.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Nearly all insurance companies will wave the deductable on winshield chips if you choose to repair rather then replace. That means they fix it for free. Geico fixed my car for free and Progressive fixed my motorhome for free.

They will even come right to your home to do it. It takes about 15 minutes. But a word of warning, there is no such thing as a 100% repair. You should expect 80 to 90% improvement depending on how much internal crush above the laminate which sandwiches the 2 layers of glass. The tech can warn you in advance before he even begins to what degree it can be fixed.

That being said, if it is right in front of your eyes then forget it. As good as the repair is you will see it and it will bother you. Strangely auto glass is cheaper in Texas then any other state. You can replace most windshields for $125 whereby other big cities you can expect $200 or more.

Another word to the unwise. An old used car dealer trick to hide these windshield chips is to use a razor blade and carefully scrape off some bird droppings from some car. They will carefully paste these bird droppings on the windshield chip so they can sell the car without anyone noticing. When you purchase it and get it home and wash it, well its too late. You bought it.
This is actually a brand new car. We picked it up from the dealer over the weekend and noticed the slight rock chip....it must have been done on a test drive or something...but we were given a chit...have the work done and send him the bill...It is very small and on the passengers side...but just bugs me, since it is a brand new car! Don't need ins., although I guess I could call them and they made be able to recommend to me someone reputable from the area. Other than that, it is a crap shoot in picking from the yellow pages.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:55 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
This is actually a brand new car. We picked it up from the dealer over the weekend and noticed the slight rock chip....it must have been done on a test drive or something...but we were given a chit...have the work done and send him the bill...It is very small and on the passengers side...but just bugs me, since it is a brand new car! Don't need ins., although I guess I could call them and they made be able to recommend to me someone reputable from the area. Other than that, it is a crap shoot in picking from the yellow pages.
Strange the dealer told you to go out yourself and find someone. ALL dealers have windshield repair people who come by once a week on their route. So your dealer does have a relationship with a windshield repair person. I know because I used to do this for a living up till about 25 years ago in YOUR home town which you refuse to revel to me probably because you think Im an axe murderer. All kidding aside, ask your dealer one more time. You said new car, so he might not be aware. Ask him to ask the used car manager and he will know who they use. I can promise that.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Strange the dealer told you to go out yourself and find someone. ALL dealers have windshield repair people who come by once a week on their route. So your dealer does have a relationship with a windshield repair person. I know because I used to do this for a living up till about 25 years ago in YOUR home town which you refuse to revel to me probably because you think Im an axe murderer. All kidding aside, ask your dealer one more time. You said new car, so he might not be aware. Ask him to ask the used car manager and he will know who they use. I can promise that.
The circumstances prevented this. We flew up to SC to pick the car up...early Mon.AM and wanted to get back on the road home to Tx. We were given the option to "wait" for the glass guy...but DH was in a hurry to start the 950+ mile trek home! That is why the chit.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:39 AM

Even tho I didn't need their services, I called our Ins. Co. and they were able to give me 3 reputable references....Have a guy coming out this afternoon to fix the windshield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston