Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 11:15 AM

440 posts, read 1,681,957 times

Advertisements

Where is the best place to meet singles in Houston?

I'll be 24 soon, in college, don't do the bar/club/party scene (never been the typical college-party-girl). Where is the best place to meet single's in their mid-to-late-20's, away from the above scenes?

I live in the suburbs (NW Houston), and obviously it seems to be mainly families, married, etc.

Would I be more successful if I moved downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 12:03 AM

569 posts, read 1,078,149 times
At least be closer to the areas where singles are - Galleria (just outside 610 loop), West University/Bellaire), Midtown, Memorial Park, Greenway Plaza area - any of these would be close in enough to town provided you have a car.

Even if you're not into "church", may still want to check out the singles groups of the big churches in Houston - I'd suggest not to jump to conclusions on what a group is like based on their "name brand-denomination" - Second Baptist and Houston's First Baptist come to mind since they have large numbers of young singles (never married/no children). I've heard St Luke's Methodist and First Presbyterian also have young singles groups.

I'd also check out meetup.com to see if there are meetups for people in your age range. They have "meetup" groups for all kinds of interests, so at least you'll meet people with similar interests.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:49 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,715,739 times
Uhhh, college?

Old 02-15-2009, 03:40 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
If your single you should consider moving to Midtown or the Heights. Many single professionals live there.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Uhhh, college?
Its come to my attention that many of my college peers are immature partying brats, whom I'd rather not converse with. I'm not into getting sh*t faced and boinking anything with a pulse.

Oildog, I'm contemplating it. Thanks

Old 02-16-2009, 07:21 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,100 times
do you go to UH.

I would assume that UH students tend to be more mature than most other colleges in the country.

Houston is not really for singles(not that you cant find any) but i mean this city is geared toward new families.

but people find the best mate's in the oddest places.

good luck

Old 02-17-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
do you go to UH.

I would assume that UH students tend to be more mature than most other colleges in the country.

Houston is not really for singles(not that you cant find any) but i mean this city is geared toward new families.

but people find the best mate's in the oddest places.

good luck
I'll be transferring to UH either this fall or Spring 2010. Aiming more for this fall. Hopefully they are more mature than the most... The party/bar scene just has never been me. I guess I don't value getting plastered and acting like a moron.

I've noticed Houston is more family-geared, which is nice in many ways, but very 'beh' in others.

Thanks

Old 02-17-2009, 07:42 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWPN View Post

I've noticed Houston is more family-geared, which is nice in many ways, but very 'beh' in others.

Thanks

I know right!! I live in sugar Land and its all kids kids kids and for the adults... some bars in town center but thats full of old farts. If I want anything exciting I have to drive down to 610 area!

I've always argued with other people on How boring Sugar Land is and how boring Houston in general is... but oh well, thats probably why i'll move as soon as i graduate

my last post was confusing... I actually attend UH and you will find that its not a normal college... people commute and alot of the students at UH are in their late 20's. Most people at UH have decided to go back to school and are serious about their education(which makes them mature but also boring)

Old 02-17-2009, 08:16 AM

152 posts, read 537,203 times
church is the best place to meet up 'good quality' singles in a good environment...
especially if you're looking for a serious long-term relationship

Old 02-17-2009, 09:22 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,715,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
I know right!! I live in sugar Land and its all kids kids kids and for the adults... some bars in town center but thats full of old farts. If I want anything exciting I have to drive down to 610 area!

I've always argued with other people on How boring Sugar Land is and how boring Houston in general is... but oh well, thats probably why i'll move as soon as i graduate

my last post was confusing... I actually attend UH and you will find that its not a normal college... people commute and alot of the students at UH are in their late 20's. Most people at UH have decided to go back to school and are serious about their education(which makes them mature but also boring)
I agree with you both. The suburbs in Houston are like murder to having a social life. There is a lack of a youth/college scene here that you find in other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston