Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 11:23 PM

2 posts, read 11,990 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am a single, 26 year old woman, moving to Houston from Central Texas to work in the TSU/Uh area. I am not getting paid a lot the first 6 months, so I have to pick someplace that is cheap, but I am highly concerned about safety.

I am looking for 1/1 apartments from $450-$600 that accepts small dogs.

I have found these 2 places somewhat close to the Galleria area, but the reviews about them often voice concerns about how old they are and how they may have plumbing, appliances and roach problems:

Crest Apartments - A Michael Stevens Interests Community
Chateaux Dijon :: Apartment Homes :: Located in Houston's Galleria and Uptown district

Please offer any suggestions for other apartment complexes or areas to search. I have to move in about a week.

Thank you!
-NWIH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 03:55 PM

564 posts, read 2,044,942 times
For that price range you might want to try one of the newer places being built to the south and towards Pearland. They're kind of isolated, though. If you don't have a car, you'll have a tough time getting around.

You can also look into some of the apartment complexes to the SE near the intersection of I-45 and the Beltway (Zip 77089 - Blackhawk Drive, Beamer Road and so forth). It's not 100% completely safe but it's not especially dangerous in that area either. Plus, you have some public transportation options if you need them.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:58 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,849,770 times
You might want to try some of the complexes along Westheimer between Hilcroft and Gessner. You can easily find something in your price range in that area. It's not a dangerous area, just a mix of different income levels in that area. Slightly higher minority concentration but there is nothing wrong with that.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:14 AM

3 posts, read 28,956 times
I would recommend staying as close to the Galleria as possible, I would not recommend any apartment in westchase.

Try,
Westcreek Apartments - may be a little bit more expensive, but very safe

It will be hard to find a good apartment in the price range you are looking for, I would recommend looking for a privately owned apartment in a good area, there are older apartments in Hyde Park, garage apartments etc that might be better in the long run and within your price range. I live in Hydepark which is a great place to walk my dog, its verty safe and there are a ton of older apartments, small complexes that might suit you better.

Last edited by bbrl007; 02-17-2009 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: i recommeded an apartment that was not good.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:37 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,689,699 times
In that price range, you can pretty much throw a sense of safety/security out the window. Not saying anything will happen to you or your property, but you can't be surprised if something goes down. Or if you have a roach & appliance problem. Or if you have high electric bills. You get what you pay for. I'm also pretty close to I-45 and the Beltway, and the $500 apartments here are dumps.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:30 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,286 times
Chateau Dijon was a very cool old complex. I haven't been in there in years so I don't know what it is like now, but it used to be run down somewhat, but the unique layouts and character sort of made up for it. It was a predominantly gay complex for years, don't know if it still is or not. The crest over on Wilcrest, hell no. That Briar Forest and Wilcrest area is surprisingly rough in the apartment complexes. The neighborhoods are okay, but not the complexes.

What I would try to do is find a garage apartment or something like that. I tend to think it is safer back in a neighborhood, even a transitional one, than parking in a parking lot and living in a complex environment. I know a lot of people that live in Eastwood and they have not had problems, although some blocks are definitely better than others. I would look for some individual rentals around there, and you might try the old fourplexes on the edge of Idylwood facing Lawndale, overlooking the golf course. I don't know what they are running, but I wouldn't think they would be too much.

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSea...4&backButton=Y
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: